Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do3 3/3/24 Lope de Vega

Just noticed this Drama on 3 play for Sunday week (March 3rd)

Dog in the Manger (El Perro del hortelano/The gardener's dog) by Lope de Vega.

Back to the days when R3 was regularly broadcasting masterpieces of world theatre, and a play by Lope wasn't a surprise (there was a production of Fuenteovejuna a few years back*). Not sure whether this is Lope's 'masterpiece' - not one of the three I read as a student, but that doesn't make me an expert. I think several might have vied for that title.

* Not the one with Irene Worth in 1955. Genome search doesn't seem to be working very well atm.

** In 2006. Listed as Fuente Ovejuna.
    Last edited by french frank; 21-02-24, 18:59.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Just noticed this Drama on 3 play for Sunday week (March 3rd)

Dog in the Manger (El Perro del hortelano/The gardener's dog) by Lope de Vega.

Back to the days when R3 was regularly broadcasting masterpieces of world theatre, and a play by Lope wasn't a surprise (there was a production of Fuenteovejuna a few years back*). Not sure whether this is Lope's 'masterpiece' - not one of the three I read as a student, but that doesn't make me an expert. I think several might have vied for that title.

* Not the one with Irene Worth in 1955. Genome search doesn't seem to be working very well atm.

** In 2006. Listed as Fuente Ovejuna.
    Thanks for the heads up French Frank.

Back in 1983, R3 broadcast Peter Barnes' excellent "Actors or Playing For Real" (freely adapted from "Lo Fingido Verdadero") - with Timothy West, Alan Rickman, Alex Jennings, Denis Quilley....
    "The Idiot Lady" was done on R4 in 1980 as a Saturday Night Theatre. There was also "Peribanez and the Comendador of Ocana" in 1968.
    AFAIK The 1954 / 1955 "Dog in the Manger"(s) haven't survived (even on TS disc), nor other Lope de Vega productions prior to 1968.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      AFAIK The 1954 / 1955 "Dog in the Manger"(s) haven't survived (even on TS disc), nor other Lope de Vega productions prior to 1968.
      Ooh, I've accepted their invitation and 'suggested an edit'. They named the translator so I changed Unknown: Lope de Vega to Playwright: Lope de Vega. I wonder if they'll accept it! We studied Peribañez and El Caballero de Olmedo as well as Fuenteovejuna. Still got the texts, don't remember a thing about any of them.

I think the original fable of the 'perro del hortelano' was something about cabbages. It guarded the cabbages which it didn't want itself but wouldn't let anyone else have them either. But the play isn't about cabbages ...
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Ooh, I've accepted their invitation and 'suggested an edit'. They named the translator so I changed Unknown: Lope de Vega to Playwright: Lope de Vega. I wonder if they'll accept it! We studied Peribañez and El Caballero de Olmedo as well as Fuenteovejuna. Still got the texts, don't remember a thing about any of them.

I think the original fable of the 'perro del hortelano' was something about cabbages. It guarded the cabbages which it didn't want itself but wouldn't let anyone else have them either. But the play isn't about cabbages ...
        However "The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui" is all about cauliflowers, I think

Impressed that you still have texts from your University days.

I'll be interested to see what happens with your Genome edit suggestion - not sure if their support / development is active these days.

Comment

I'll be interested to see what happens with your Genome edit suggestion - not sure if their support / development is active these days.
          It would need a human being (probably of a certain sort) to recognise the word 'playwright'. It doesn't appear to be in the Genome's lexicon.

Comment

It would need a human being (probably of a certain sort) to recognise the word 'playwright'. It doesn't appear to be in the Genome's lexicon.
            Perhaps "playwright" has been filtered out as "This listing contains language that some* may find offensive.​"
            Prokofiev's "The Queen of Spades" suffers this inexplicable fate.

* i.e. BBC management - supporting Radio Drama indeed!

Comment

Perhaps "playwright" has been filtered out as "This listing contains language that some* may find offensive.​"
              Prokofiev's "The Queen of Spades" suffers this inexplicable fate.

You mean the 'wright' bit? Actually some of the best world classic plays were broadcast in the early '00s .

Comment

....you both are of course clever-dicks....but then that might not pass the censor either

....the furious pace of these plays (to get them into an R3 timeslot) makes these plays a difficult listen....
                bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  ....the furious pace of these plays (to get them into an R3 timeslot) makes these plays a difficult listen....
                  If you want to do a bit of homework first, this is a summary of the plot.

The Gardener's Dog El Perro del Hortelano is a 1618 play by the Spanish playwright Lope de Vega. Its title refers to the proverb of the dog in the manger –...

Comment

Prokofiev's [sic] "The Queen of Spades" suffers this inexplicable fate.

About 20 years ago I ran the dictionary on my computer through the censorship filter we used in my workplace at the time. Among the words it objected to was 'spade', I think because the word has been used as a derogatory term for people of colour.

Comment

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
                      About 20 years ago I ran the dictionary on my computer through the censorship filter we used in my workplace at the time. Among the words it objected to was 'spade', I think because the word has been used as a derogatory term for people of colour.
                      I think you're probably right - it seems a very blunt tool applied to Genome and most of the "offensive" items aren't, (although Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent might grate for some).
                      Did I spell Prokofiev wronlgy? Just wondering about the [sic]...

Comment

Did I spell Prokofiev wronlgy? Just wondering about the [sic]...
                        I associate musical dramatisation of this work of Pushkin with Tchaikovsky.

Comment

Originally posted by mopsus View Post

I associate musical dramatisation of this work of Pushkin with Tchaikovsky.
                          Yes, the P- or the -kov- were wright. Easily done, AD .

Comment

Working...
                          X