Glenda Jackson in R4 adaptations of Zola - UPDATED: final sequence, 22 - 30.10.16

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glenda Jackson in R4 adaptations of Zola - UPDATED: final sequence, 22 - 30.10.16

Pleased to hear that Glenda Jackson is returning to acting after 23 as an MP. She features in a 30mins programme, Blood, Sex and Money, R4, 16.00hrs, Mon, 16 Nov, and talks to descendants of Emile Zola in France who describe how the reaction to J'accuse and the Dreyfus affair - where Zola accused the French Army of a cover-up in an open-letter to the press - still creates waves and bad feelings for the family. She also travels to his country home in Medan where Zola entertained Flaubert and Cezanne.

The adaptations begin on Sat, 21 Nov, R4, presumably in an afternoon slot. I'll confirm the time when known. I hope these programmes also herald a return to stage and screen for this powerful actress.

you're right. 2:30pm - 90 minutes length

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
      Pleased to hear that Glenda Jackson is returning to acting after 23 as an MP. She features in a 30mins programme, Blood, Sex and Money, R4, 16.00hrs, Mon, 16 Nov, and talks to descendants of Emile Zola in France who describe how the reaction to J'accuse and the Dreyfus affair - where Zola accused the French Army of a cover-up in an open-letter to the press - still creates waves and bad feelings for the family. She also travels to his country home in Medan where Zola entertained Flaubert and Cezanne.

The adaptations begin on Sat, 21 Nov, R4, presumably in an afternoon slot. I'll confirm the time when known. I hope these programmes also herald a return to stage and screen for this powerful actress.
      Thank you for this news.

Very interesting.

Comment

An utter delight - Glad to have her back where she belongs!
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          An utter delight - Glad to have her back where she belongs!
          Seconded, Pianorak. GJ still vocally potent, too. So many memories of her work at the RSC, Royal Court and last seen in O'Neill's rambling Strange Interlude but her presence registered well. We are now in a fascinating age where several highly experienced 'oldies' are delivering such compelling work and reminding us of the meaning of artistry in the highest reaches of their craft. Encouraged to see Charlotte Rampling join this league in London Spy, last night. and got the same sense of frisson as I did on hearing Glenda on R4 in the afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
            The adaptations begin on Sat, 21 Nov, R4, presumably in an afternoon slot. I'll confirm the time when known.
            I expect you've noticed that this continues daily, through the week to next Sunday. I shall have to listen again to today's opener - I didn't particularly enjoy it first time - a rather jokey style as if produced by the comedy department (or is it meant to be a comedy ? )

Comment

Thanks, Mercia. I, too, am unsure about the style of the production as it is a large canvas but Glenda Jackson hasn't lost her gift for clear enunciation or timing. Her presentation reminded me of the skill and experience which Dirk Bogarde brought to his R4 presentation of The Forsyte Saga in the early 90s.

Comment

Does anyone happen to have downloaded the third of the series, "Food" ? It's the one I'm lacking to listen to. Can't see any signs of forthcoming repeats in the schedules...

I was also a little disconcerted by the comedy elements in the opening episode ("say hello children" "waaaaa") but it settled down, and the main part of it was grippingly done - and Glenda was terrific.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

"Food" is still there to listen to for another 3 weeks - I don't know anything about downloading

episode 2 was repeated hence being in a strange place in that running order

Comment

Yes, and episode 9 is being randomly repeated this Saturday evening...

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    "Food" is still there to listen to for another 3 weeks - I don't know anything about downloading

episode 2 was repeated hence being in a strange place in that running order

Comment

Listened to Episode 2 (Fire) this afternoon on this windy, stay-indoors December day - I thought it was fantastic.

Splendid creepy turn from David Annen as 'Abbé Faujas' (what a great archetype from Zola, up there with anything from Molière - even the name is cannily chosen... faux = false, jaser = chatter)... and Glenda delivering the goods at the climax

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Listened to Episode 2 (Fire) this afternoon on this windy, stay-indoors December day - I thought it was fantastic.

Splendid creepy turn from David Annen as 'Abbé Faujas' (what a great archetype from Zola, up there with anything from Molière - even the name is cannily chosen... faux = false, jaser = chatter)... and Glenda delivering the goods at the climax

I read La Conquete de Plassans many years ago and couldn't understand why it isn't better-known. One of Zola's best.

Comment

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                          I read La Conquete de Plassans many years ago and couldn't understand why it isn't better-known. One of Zola's best.
                          I read half a dozen of them years ago, all lesser-known, but not that one alas. I mean to make that good in the next few years.

The one that knocked my socks off was the last one in the series, Le Docteur Pascal, the only time I've ever finished a book and then at once started it again and read it straight through a second time.

Comment

Looks as though they are all currently available - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06p...pisodes/player

The ones I've heard have been really good. They can probably all be downloaded to a device such as an iPad, though would expire eventually. Any more permanent way of recording these might violate the T&Cs, but surely there are ways. Minidiscs perhaps, if anyone still uses those.

Comment

Hello there,

Reading this thread I was reminded of the 1979 BBC adaptation of Therese Raquin starring Kate Nelligan in the title role. It also features Brian Cox. It is available on Youtube should anyone be interested.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

Working...
                              X