HELP PLEASE! What the Dickens does Barthes mean by TEXT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

HELP PLEASE! What the Dickens does Barthes mean by TEXT?

Sprog announced her being 'fazed' by this ..and asked for help ...i have read at least twice, and could not stand another go, it seems impenetrable and meaningless or a reification of the possibilities of language using minds .... i am at a loss ...

what does he mean by TEXT?
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

ah, well if you're going to take Barthes 'seriously' rather than as 'entertainment' - then there is no hope for you...

yrs ludically

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

i can take him or leave him any which way including loose but sprog has an essay to write! and yup no hope!

..and as a plaything it is not that entertaining really and as entertainment it is not at all playful ...it makes me glassy eyed and beady with perspiration
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

aka - my feelings go out fr yr sprog. I think there is a kind of French writing which is absolutely untranslatable into English. Often to be found in French music criticism - whether reviews, record sleeves, or more weighty stuff - if you try to put it into decent intelligible English - it just won't wash. There is a French aesthetic rhetoric which is sui generis - it's a soap bubble that just-about holds together if you don't prod it too hard - but once you ask - but what does it actually MEAN? - it disappears with a pluf! that makes your eyes smart...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          aka - my feelings go out fr yr sprog. I think there is a kind of French writing which is absolutely untranslatable into English. Often to be found in French music criticism - whether reviews, record sleeves, or more weighty stuff - if you try to put it into decent intelligible English - it just won't wash. There is a French aesthetic rhetoric which is sui generis - it's a soap bubble that just-about holds together if you don't prod it too hard - but once you ask - but what does it actually MEAN? - it disappears with a pluf! that makes your eyes smart...
          Gosh that's well put, vints! I've often thought the same with a or even a without being able to put it into words.

Scant help to Ms Jazbo though!!

Oh! i just saw the link you gave is a translation by Stephen Heath... i know Stephen, he's a fellow at my old college. I might have his email address... We could ask him what the hell it's all about!

When's her essay due???
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Stephen Heath... i know Stephen, he's a fellow at my old college.
            oh, Cambridge - yes, Caliberman, I suppose it was to be expected that you were from the other place,,,

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              oh, Cambridge - yes, Caliberman, I suppose it was to be expected that you were from the other place,,,
              As opposed to Thames Valley Poly? Your alma, vints?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                As opposed to Thames Valley Poly? Your alma, vints?
                I am the product of a Poly. Oh Lordy, Lordy, don't it show? <hangs head in despair> and visulaliises the Bullingham Club
                Last edited by Guest; 01-05-11, 17:47. Reason: and it never taught me to spell

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Calipers - what with "a most complex and interesting cast of mind, M Vinteuil" - what else wd you expect

Comment

• Eudaimonia

Here's a stab at it:

By "Text" he means both the actual writing and what the observer/reader brings to it-- not only in terms of understanding the totality of the political/historical/economic context in which it was written, but the subjective experience of the reader and his political/historical/economic context-- as well as that of the language itself. As he said elsewhere, "text is a tissue [or fabric] of quotations drawn from innumerable centers of culture," rather than from the individual experience of the author.

In a nutshell, every piece of writing contains multiple layers and meanings, none of which should be privileged over the rest, and every time we read the work, we recreate it anew.

V: cop-out much?

Comment

• 2LO

. . . every time we read the work, we recreate it anew.
                      Did Borges copy from Barthes or Barthes from Borges?

Comment

• Russ

I can't imagine Borges copying Barthes, but have I misunderstood your point, 2LO?

Russ

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          Oh Lordy, Lordy, don't it show?
                          It most certainly does NOT, Anna!!

Comment

• 2LO

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                            I can't imagine Borges copying Barthes, but have I misunderstood your point, 2LO?
                            Not so much a point, Russ, as a comment on Eudaimonia's explanation of text according to Barthes.

Borges always said that reading was a more creative process than writing; that an infinite series of reinterpretations were perfectly valid even from an apparently unchanging set of words. My own (rather cursory) readings of the likes of 'Mythologies' tend to leave me mystified. If Eudaimonia's summary of this aspect of Barthes is correct, the two would appear to be barking up the same tree. So to speak.

Comment

• Pianorak
                              • Nov 2010

From an Edward Albee interview in today's Daily Telegraph:

“I remind people that no two people see the same play, that no two people bring the same intelligence, or the same willingness to participate,” he says. “And the other answer I have to 'What’s your play about?’ I usually say 'Oh, this one’s about an hour and a half.’ It helps.”
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                              X