No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Music Magazine/Nov '17 issue

Got my copy this morning, ostensibly The Centenary Special 1917-2017,
    the Russian Revolution, but I was more attracted by a four- page spread celebrating
    the centenary of Dr Francis Jackson CBE, organist and choirmaster of York Minster for over 35 years, who has just celebrated his 100th birthday. Lively documentation of Dr Jackson's colourful career and a sweet photograph of him as a chorister in 1929. However, my beady eyes are focussed on a full page portrait of the man seated at his house organ, Malton, Nth Yks, as I connive how to find space for a framed portrait on my living room wall, alongside The Wigmore Hall, RAH (from the Albert Memorial), St John's Smith Square, SW1, Josephine Barstow
    as Gloriana, Noel Coward and PMD seated by his long-horned gramophone at Orkney! Needs must......but my warmest greetings and congratulations to Dr Jackson.

I downloaded mine free of charge from Edinburgh City Libraries this afternoon. Rather a paltry article about the 'best' recordings of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto. Rather a narrow field identified with Gideon Kremer/Lorin Maazel/Berliner Philharmoniker being 'one to avoid!'

Most odd.

Comment

I never understand the point of that mini BAL feature and as I got to love the Tchaikovsky from the Kremer/Maazel recording whilst it is no longer my favourite recording I would not have it down as one to avoid .

RL described it in Gramophone as having the highest level of accomplishment but it left him relatively unmoved . I recall it as being very exciting in the outer movements but the Canzonetta as a little cool. Well worth a listen though .

Comment

I'd echo Stanley's greetings and congratulations to Francis Jackson on his 100th birthday and am somewhat surprised that this did not find a mention in the Choir forum given his legendary status in the choir/organ world. An excellent article in the BBC MM. My old choirmaster was a pupil of his, many, many moons ago so I first heard of Francis Jackson over 50 years ago.

I'll dig out a CD of him at the organ of York Minster over the weekend.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Thanks, Pet. I contacted the Beeb some weeks ago to remind them of Dr Jackson's centenary and suggested him as a guest on Essential Classics but, of course, in the interim the programme has been rejigged - a polite euphimism - a friend at York Recorded Music Society had travelled with him last year and he was highly articulate with a matching energy quotient! A missed opportunity. Delighted to hear that he will undertake a few Minster recitals and trust that a broadcast will follow. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
            Thanks, Pet. I contacted the Beeb some weeks ago to remind them of Dr Jackson's centenary and suggested him as a guest on Essential Classics but, of course, in the interim the programme has been rejigged - a polite euphimism - a friend at York Recorded Music Society had travelled with him last year and he was highly articulate with a matching energy quotient! A missed opportunity. Delighted to hear that he will undertake a few Minster recitals and trust that a broadcast will follow. Fingers crossed.
            Perhaps Michael Berkeley could get him on Private Passions.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              ...congratulations to Francis Jackson on his 100th birthday and am somewhat surprised that this did not find a mention in the Choir forum...
              Celebration of Dr Jackson's 100 not out can be found on the FJ Appreciation Society fb page: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...20appreciation

There are some nice photos at the Minster and this one at home opening that telegram from HM:

Comment

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                Perhaps Michael Berkeley could get him on Private Passions.
                A consummation devoutly to be wished!

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                  I downloaded mine free of charge from Edinburgh City Libraries this afternoon
                  Only recently been notified by the county council that this is now possible for us, too. Looked into it at a local library currently staffed entirely, it seems, by volunteers. Skimmed through the latest issue and noticed an article evaluating music streaming services. Must re-read this. You don't get the free cd but £5.99 saved towards a recording I've been saving up for? Makes sense
                  And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

The December issue announced that in the next issue a cover CD to send a chill down EA's spine - Music for Christmas with the BBC Singers .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      The December issue announced that in the next issue a cover CD to send a chill down EA's spine - Music for Christmas with the BBC Singers .
                      Thanks for that - I'm looking out for a Bychkov War Requiem as a cover disc (given the delight that the Oramo Kullervo cover disc gave me). I'm finding that fewer shops stock BBC MM these days, I wonder if it is sustainable?

Anyhow, I don't need to seek out December's issue on a shelf now.....

I subscribed to "The Gramophone" but given that I have trouble finding the time to read that, I only buy BBC MM for a particular cover disc. (If I really wanted BBC S and / or a Christmas BBC MM CD I can easily pick one up -in my periodic visit to Oxfam Bookshops, or local hospice charity shops, one from the past can be easily picked up. People don't seem to hold on to them, but give them away.....)

Comment

Working...
                      X