Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Jean, for posting Freud’s words.

Of course, he sees it from the man’s perspective, as ever. My belief is that WS actually took the woman’s point of view.

As far as was possible in his context...

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Here we suspend disbelief. We're led to think that Portia's father devised a test which will only be passed by a man who is worthy of her. I think that is speciifically said, isn't it? You could think that this was to safeguard her rather than put her up as a lottery prize.
      Better than sending her into a coma and surrounding her with a circle of fire that only a real hero would be able to cross, I suppose.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Better than sending her into a coma and surrounding her with a circle of fire that only a real hero would be able to cross, I suppose.

But looking at the text (Act 1, sc 2), Portia laments the fact that she may not 'choose' her husband but must choose or refuse according to the terms of her father's will, which is 'hard'. But Nerissa replies:

Your father was ever virtuous; and holy men, at their death, have good inspirations; therefore, the lottery that he hath devised in these three chests, of gold, silver, and lead, - whereof who chooses his meaning chooses you, - will no doubt never be chosen by any rightly but one who you shall rightly love.

In this, we have to accept what is stated explicitly (rubbish or not).

As it is, there is a clear 'feminist' theme. Rather like Susannah in TMoF, the woman is in control of the situation and outwits the (male) forces of 'evil'.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Ah, but think of the music as the flames rise higher!!

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Ah, but think of the music as the flames rise higher!!
            This is not a case if setting her sister's hair on fire.

Comment

Working...
            X