Word of Mouth: Multicultural London English (R4 2 Oct)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word of Mouth: Multicultural London English (R4 2 Oct)

I just caught up with this fascinating programme, broadcast on Radio 4 last Tuesday, which was introduced by the wonderful Michael Rosen. While it may not provoke much discussion here, if any at all, I thought people might be interested to hear the podcast:

Michael Rosen and Dr Laura Wright talk about the Multicultural London English (MLE) dialect with Somali born journalist Ismail Einashe. Listen to this with your fam and you'll know what Stormzy means when he talks about this wasteman ting, and find out how MLE speakers are using new forms of grammar. This programme draws heavily on research on Multicultural London English published by Paul Kerswill, University of York, UK; Jenny Cheshire, Queen Mary University of London, UK; Susan Fox, University of Bern, Switzerland, and Eivind Torgersen, Norwegian University of Science and Technology. Sound clips are taken from ‘Spoken London English’, part of the English Language Teaching Resources website.

Producer Sally Heaven.

Thanks for this, really interesting, I'd not heard of MLE before, actually I thought they were saying Emily until the penny dropped!
    On a slightly different tack, The London Sound Survey contains many fascinating speech recordings going back to the early 1900's and is well worth dipping into: https://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/
    Years ago I remember a demonstration on R4 by a gifted film studio dialect coach on the evolution of American English, in which he added in stages West Country English, Scots and Irish on a sentence, ending up with American. Quite a party-piece.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      Thanks for this, really interesting, I'd not heard of MLE before, actually I thought they were saying Emily until the penny dropped!
      On a slightly different tack, The London Sound Survey contains many fascinating speech recordings going back to the early 1900's and is well worth dipping into: https://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/
      Years ago I remember a demonstration on R4 by a gifted film studio dialect coach on the evolution of American English, in which he added in stages West Country English, Scots and Irish on a sentence, ending up with American. Quite a party-piece.
      Thanks for the London Sound Survey link, gradus. I'll check that later. A couple of months ago I linked to clips of rural dialects recorded at the turn of the 20th century and reproduced on 78s in the 1920s, and it received no response whatever here! Re American English, I'm more and more hearing Scots accents as being the strongest forbears, oddly enough.

Comment

Working...
      X