X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    It isn’t being kept artificially alive, it is booming because some people actually want vinyl. Lots of young people . And they are spending their hard earned because they actually like the vinyl experience.

I’m really struggling to see the problem. Actually, I’m not, because there isn’t one.
    I don't think compactists see a problem, they (most of whom probably grew up with vinyl) were very pleased when CDs came out (for all the reasons explored above), and have a problem understanding what the attraction of vinyl now is.

OG

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      I don't think compactists see a problem, they (most of whom probably grew up with vinyl) were very pleased when CDs came out (for all the reasons explored above), and have a problem understanding what the attraction of vinyl now is.

OG
      Personally, I only buy used vinyl now, and infrequently.

But actually understanding or trying to understand the reasons for its success isn’t difficult, and is a better approach than dismissing the tastes of others as fads.
      Or another way to approach the phenomenon , instead of the put downs, ( not you OG !) is to celebrate the enthusiasms of others, even if we don’t share them.

Its a really positive development ,in cash terms, for an industry we all depend on for our music. £100m plus into the UK industry this year.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

But actually understanding or trying to understand the reasons for its success isn’t difficult, and is a better approach than dismissing the tastes of others as fads.
        Or another way to approach the phenomenon , instead of the put downs, ( not you OG !) is to celebrate the enthusiasms of others, even if we don’t share them.

Its a really positive development ,in cash terms, for an industry we all depend on for our music. £100m plus into the UK industry this year.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Well, I've been quite quite forceful in my support of cd over vinyl and, yes, if that's how people want to spend their money then so be it. If, (WHEN!), Mrs. PG and I win the lottery I certainly would buy a fabulous turntable but only to play vinyl that's not made it to cd.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

If someone wants to release a digital recording DACed back to analogue, then issue it pressed onto vinyl, fine. However, if that is the only format made available, then not fine at all. That is sheer vinyl fetishism, as I see it.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              If someone wants to release a digital recording DACed back to analogue, then issue it pressed onto vinyl, fine. However, if that is the only format made available, then not fine at all. That is sheer vinyl fetishism, as I see it.
              Isn’t it just a marketing and sales decision ?
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Isn’t it just a marketing and sales decision ?
                No, not just. It's also vinyl fetishism. It severely restricts both marketing and potential sales.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

No, not just. It's also vinyl fetishism. It severely restricts both marketing and potential sales.
                  In the absence of any evidence, our views are just opinions. I happen to think that a business explanation looks more likely, even if it is a flawed one. But then again, they might have made a profitable decision.

It isn't unusual to produce a premium edition of a product first, to maximise revenue from the core market, before bringing out a cheaper mass market product. This might still happen with the Feldman.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

It isn't unusual to produce a premium edition of a product first, to maximise revenue from the core market, before bringing out a cheaper mass market product. This might still happen with the Feldman.
                    Mass market and Feldman are, I would submit, not words which go in the same sentence.

I wait to be proved wrong.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

In the absence of any evidence, our views are just opinions. I happen to think that a business explanation looks more likely, even if it is a flawed one. But then again, they might have made a profitable decision.

The thing is, I have the evidence, by way of email correspondence with the musician behind the release. He made it quite clear that the decision was based on his devotion to vinyl, notwithstanding that he makes extensive use of digital processing in his own performances. He has no intention of releasing the recording in any other format. Someone will probably make digital transfers fro the LPs at some stage and bootleg them. I will make do with two FLUX recordings, plus that of the Ives Ensemble and a private one of a live performance by the Smith Quartet.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

The thing is, I have the evidence, by way of email correspondence with the musician behind the release. He made it quite clear that the decision was based on his devotion to vinyl, notwithstanding that he makes extensive use of digital processing in his own performances. He has no intention of releasing the recording in any other format. Someone will probably make digital transfers fro the LPs at some stage and bootleg them. I will make do with two FLUX recordings, plus that of the Ives Ensemble and a private one of a live performance by the Smith Quartet.
                        Thanks for that.interesting stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X