Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jonathan Raban (1942-2023)

It's a long time since I read a book by Jonathan Raban, who died yesterday, although clicks from the Guardian's report of his death led me to a witty and well-researched 2008 LRB piece on Sarah Palin: he was a great stylist.

Thanks for that link, kernel. Will read and digest this evening.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

You're welcome :-). I think perhaps the only book of his I read was a nautical one - (maybe) Coasting - but it's decades ago.

I met him at a publisher's party once. His side of our brief conversation was decidedly de haut en bas.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        I met him at a publisher's party once.

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        His side of our brief conversation was decidedly de haut en bas.
        That's more like it!
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Comment

Fascinating read. Yes, very well written but the subject matter from 14 years ago resonates with today's America. Somehow it seems less of a surprise that Trump was allowed to swagger on to the stage.

Comment

Working...
            X