Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do3: Migrant Mother

aeolium posted an interesting review of this in the fading hours of the R3 Message Boards. Having just caught up with it, I agree that it was a very good production of a moving play. The poetic form of Dorothea's diary entries worked very well and made a good a substitute for the famous photographs (not that I knew anything about them).

Wikipedia has an interesting entry about the subject of the photos, Florence Owens Thompson. Apparently, she and her family survived the depression (it wasn't clear from the play that they would) and she eventually died in 1983 at the age of 80. It's claimed that Dorothea Lange was mistaken in some of the details of the story, e.g. of the family selling care tyres for food (more details are available here), but it was still a moving drama.

Hello,

Because so long ago I had a university class with photo historian Beaumont Newhall; I took great interest in this program as well. It was a fascinating way to capture the photos. And I have recommended my friend who attended San Fransisco Art Institute in film and photography have a listen.

Interestingly, not really knowing who Beaumont Newhall was; I challenged the marks he gave me as I thought I had earnestly earned a higher mark. This is the only grade I have ever challenged during my university studies. I remember just the difficulty of scheduling an appointment during his sparse office hours and his absolute disdain that I had no solid sense of myself as to how a higher mark had been earned by me.

As years have passed, I came to learn he was a librarian at the MOMA/NYC. I still feel very lucky to have had this class as it remains one of the most vibrant reflections of what I am knowledgeable about in photography. In particular black and white. I would like the world to ditch their zillions of photos and return to that capturing essence of what Henri Cartier-Bresson did so fine, letting the shutter release in that moment of human expression.

Art Libraries
    In addition to Fogelson Library, the university has two special libraries: the Chase Art History Library and the Beaumont and Nancy Newhall Library, both located in the Visual Art Center.

This is located at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design.

http://www.santafeuniversity.edu/Pro...mTheChair.aspx

I hope you have time to take a look and a listen. It reminds me of an entire week I spent at Eastman Kodak in Rochester, New York, with safety goggles worn and cherished through teendom learning about Kodak film. Unfortunately, until I had my child I was totally unaware of music conservatories.

kind wishes,
    Sigolene

Comment

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of aeolium's review, tony yyy. I must look back at what it was all about, but missed listening. I just caught up with last Sunday's which had one good reception (from me) and a less good one (from Russ).

I wonder what's coming up in the next few weeks .... must try and keep up better.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
      X