Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll - Who listens to "The Verb"?

I'd be grateful if you would take the time to post a message indicating how often you listen to "The Verb". You just need to pick a letter:

A. Always or nearly always.

or

B. Sometimes.

or

C. Only very occasionally or never.

C > D- = never.

Serious poetry on R3 has been virtually killed off by this ghastly programme - remember R3? Site of world premiere of Under Milk Wood et al? Yes, that R3?

If it was fronted by someone with genuine reputation in the poetry world as opposed to a self-promoting 'funny man', professional Yorkshireman [ and I am a Yorkshireman] , it might well recover, but not as presently constituted.
    Last edited by DracoM; 19-12-11, 10:39.

Comment

C (to be more precise, C- or D+).
      If I want to listen to poetry, there's always 'Poetry Please'.

Comment

I do not know what The Verb is, so I must be C.

Comment

I'm very much afraid - C

This is mainly due to the fact that on the few occasions when I did listen it was too jokey; 'new writing' included such items as performance by obscure singer-songwriters and pub poets; features like 'eartoons' (audio cartoons) fell flat as far as I was concerned; on the occasions when I spotted what I thought would be more substantial and literary (discussion on the poetry of Geoffrey Hill) it was superficial.

I think its principal aim seems to be to entertain where I would prefer a programme that informed and educated, and which distinguished what is important/influential from what is merely 'new'.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

C.
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

C- / D

And I agree with Draco's comments in #2 and French Frank's in #5

Comment

C ditto
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

C- /D for me as well, for precisely those same reasons in #2 and #5 The ghastly eartoons is an instant switch off and Ian McMillan is intensely annoying with his bouncy jokiness. I do listen to Poetry Please on R4 sometimes.

Comment

C

Comment

C or D for me too. Which is odd as I usually enjoy it if I catch it while driving home from a concert. But I very rarely listen to it at home. Perhaps I can only take the presenter when there's road noise to quieten him down a bit?
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Maybe I shouldn’t judge a programme by its trailer but there you are.

D

Comment

One for the B's

I'm a definite B

Influenced by Lat's reviews though - there is a definite correlation between his reviews and the amount I listen...

Comment

C

I'm not the best judge as my ignorance of poetry is profound, but I'm afraid I gave up on the programme long ago.

Comment

I should add that I did used to read Lat's very comprehenisve reviews to see if anything might appeal. I assume he stopped writing them as there was hardly any response.

Comment

Working...
                              X