No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thesiger's Travels - recommended

Thesiger at 100 on Radio 4.

I hope you don't miind another rec from R4 - many of you liked the Wainwright programme I noted a few weeks ago elsewhere.

This was superb: quite simply one of the most well-conceived and well-presented programmes I've heard, ever, and Mr Gardner does IMO a sterling job. Unmissable if you're interested in travel and/or history. The excerpts from his past BBC interviews are wonderful to hear.

There is a slight bias: we had a family connection, hence in part my previous railings against Hussein and his persecution of the marsh arabs that I knew a fair bit about and used to get steamed up over, on the other boards.

Anyway, here's the link to the relavant LA - it's available till next Monday.

Frank Gardner marks the centenary of photographer and traveller Wilfred Thesiger.

Endorsed.
    Fascinating. His black and white photos are remarkable, quite apart from those travels. Frank Gardener was the model of a presenter / commentator too.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Radio 4 is quite odd - good serious and sensible programmes like this one mixed in with things of the opposite kind such as all that "Archers" business.

Comment

As I am a night owl, I sometimes listen to the BBC World Service on Radio 4 and this does throw up some thought-provoking items from time to time.

Comment

Working...
        X