Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This episode of "History of Music Radio" was tremendously well done. Sadly, it is only available for a few more hours. I recommend it to anyone who considers pop music radio to be unfathomable and wonders why serious music radio has been turned into light entertainment. Specifically, it brilliantly describes how music broadcasting evolved in the 1950s/1960s, bringing out the nuances of what is good and bad in lighter entertainment. As with serious music radio, a considerable percentage of the good has been lost. It also provides background that is relevant to the evolution of R3. For example, what was Britain's first legal all music station - or as near to one that any distinctions would be petty? Answer - the Third Programme in 1965. And why was R2 so different from the Light Programme? Because the Third Programme had set a precedent that "should be made available to a wider range of people"!!!

Paul Gambaccini presents a six-part history of music radio in the UK and USA.

In Britain, we had needle time until the late 1960s. This meant most music broadcast was in the form of live performance. The BBC didn't acknowledge the first modern pop music phenomenon, rock n roll, and it avoided Americana even in the mid 1960s, preferring British acts. The emphasis on live music was a double edged sword. It was out of step with modern trends but at the same time there are recordings we wouldn't have had otherwise. This is an issue that is directly relevant to today. Even in America, many radio stations had maintained orchestras until the 1950s. The arrival of records, with DJs, was arguably of immense assistance to cost-cutters. And the fact that stations were funded by commercials meant that DJs were salesmen as well as entertainers.

Pirate ships based on an American format arrived in Britain in 1964. There were also radio stations on forts. The regulatory system did not apply to broadcasts three miles or more offshore. The programme transported me into that completely different world. One that I can recall but only just. One key entrepreneur was a Texan who noted that there were more stations in one Texan town than in the whole of Britain! There will be many on this forum who would draw little distinction between the presentation style introduced in that era and what we have broadly now. For them, it would be the beginnings of the slippery slope. In truth, it was very different. The presentation of the pirate DJs was a kind of music to me, with its innovation and occasional brilliance. There were echoes of commercials but also of the music hall. What it shared with serious music radio was a sense of making an effort.

There is then little linkage in my mind between the pirate DJs and the bland personality DJs we know too well today. The latter fall between what the pirates did and the serious music radio we all like. Arguably, early Radio 1 was to blame. It arrived with the new Radio 2, 3 and 4 in the late 1960s following new marine offences legislation. But the programme described the earlier advent of the Top 40 format in the US which started to be a problem here in the 1970s. The idea that the same pieces of music should be played over and over again. That only became thoroughly awful in Britain 20 years later with the deregulation of commercial radio here and its spread to all music genres. Lawful commercial radio in the 1970s wasn't too bad. Attenborough was at the helm at Capital.

Whether it is BBC Radio or Classic FM or Planet Rock, what radio too frequently lacks today is a sense of energy, imagination and romance. We heard about the sheer beauty - and discomfort - of broadcasting 3 miles out of Frinton which had never seen the like before. I am not sure I agree with those who said in the programme that the voices were more human - that rather depends on how one defines such things - but they didn't sound so obviously in a studio. It was theatre. It was about the wider elements, it had a strong sense of its time, it was technologically experimental. It wasn't downbeat and it didn't sound like routine in an office.

I think I could enjoy running a pirate radio ship or a fort or some planks placed across the bases of abandoned windfarms in the sea. Off the Thanet coast, perhaps, in 2018. What I need to do is find out where AM and FM will stand when it all goes digital, set up a station and manufacture radio sets accordingly. The alternative is simply to do it just off some distant tropical island.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-12-12, 21:06.

Comment

Currently reading From the Third Programme - an anthology published to celebrate the completion of ten years of broadcasting by the BBC Third Programme [Nonesuch Press, 1956]. From the Introduction :

"Writing shortly before the Third Programme came into existence, Sir Harold Nicholson, who was then a member of the Board of Governors, noted that 'the BBC has learnt from long experience that pain caused to fifty people is certain to express itself more violently than pleasure caused to five million people. Their sense of responsibility is sufficiently strong to restrain them from giving the public only what it likes; their daring is not sufficiently strong to enable them to give the public what is disliked. The programmes tend therefore to become conciliatory; every pill is coated with sugar; any item which it is felt may prove unpalatable is tendered either in a tone of apology or with the horrible cheeriness of the scout-master, the padre, or the matron at an expensive nursing home.' ...

It was decided from the beginning that the Third Programme should not compromise; it should make no concessions to popular taste... Sir William Haley, who was at the time Director-General of the BBC : "Let it always remember that it is an experiment, even an adventure, and not a piece of routine. Let it arouse controversy and not seek to muffle controversy. Let it enable the intelligent public to hear the best that has been thought or said or composed in all the world. Let it demonstrate that we are not afraid to express our culture or to give our people access to the culture of others. Let it set a standard, and furnish an example, which will not only raise the level of our own broadcasting but in the end affect the level of broadcasting in other lands. Let it be something which has never been attempted hitherto in any country.' "
      "

This anthology of broadcasts from the first ten years includes pieces by : James Kirkup, William Plomer, VS Pritchett, Henry Reed, Stevie Smith, Graham Greene, Elizabeth Bowen, Bertrand Russell, Noel Annan, Max Beerbohm, Isaiah Berlin, EM Forster, André Gide, Maxim Gorky, Nikolaus Pevsner, Arthur Waley, TS Eliot, Fred Hoyle, Alan Pryce-Jones, Thomas Mann, PH Newby, Magnus Pyke, Michael Ventris, JZ Young...

(But they didn't have Katie Derham or Elizabeth Alker... )

Last edited by vinteuil; 16-04-23, 09:38. Reason: coated not quoted...

Comment

"Let it always remember that it is an experiment, even an adventure, and not a piece of routine. Let it arouse controversy and not seek to muffle controversy. Let it enable the intelligent public to hear the best that has been thought or said or composed in all the world. Let it demonstrate that we are not afraid to express our culture or to give our people access to the culture of others. Let it set a standard, and furnish an example, which will not only raise the level of our own broadcasting but in the end affect the level of broadcasting in other lands. Let it be something which has never been attempted hitherto in any country.' "

Hear Hear. Thanks very much for posting Vinteuil...

Comment

Good to see this thread revived. My five memorable radio broadcasts are:

King Lear, with Gielgud, broadcast to celebrate the twentieth anniversary of the Third.
          The 1966 Albert Hall broadcast of William 'Havergal' Brian's Gothic Symphony.
          Hans Keller's two-hour lecture on Schoenberg's quartets.
          A concert in which Pinchas Zukerman played seven violin concertos (all by Vivaldi).
          'The Octave of the Nativity'. Eight liturgical reconstructions of masses from eight centuries (10th to 17th) broadcast at the time of day (or night) they would have been sung. A wonderful vindication of William Haley's 'no cuts; no fixed points'.

Comment

This is the bit which makes me resigned to the fact that the 20-odd years of FoR3's existence and efforts would have been more profitably spent gardening.

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            '... their daring is not sufficiently strong to enable them to give the public what is disliked. The programmes tend therefore to become conciliatory; every pill is quoted with sugar; any item which it is felt may prove unpalatable is tendered either in a tone of apology or with the horrible cheeriness of the scout-master, the padre, or the matron at an expensive nursing home.'
            And yet, and yet ... There Was A Time when Radio 3 captured me. Then the BBC interfered.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              I obviously have dozens of musical memories but would like to start with my childhood memories - radio was still a teenager when I was very young.

Henry Hall's Guestnight. My first memory of the Radio Orchestra

ITMA Tommy Handley and co, making fun of the war and cheering us up

Much Binding in the Marsh with Richard Murdoch, Kenneth Horne and Sam Costa

Letter from America with Alistair Cooke

Music Magazine - the original programme.

The Private Life of Hilda Tablet - and more satirical programmes of that kind, but I've had my five. Oh sorry six.
              59 episodes of ITMA can be found here

Comment

Working...
              X