X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bert Coules
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
    If you call your protagonists Verdi and Wagner you are asking for a suspension of disbelief and the willingness to assume that this is a dramatisation of the composers' relationship.
    Well, that's what it is. Clearly we differ as to the innate meaning of the word "dramatisation". Drama is not historical truth: it's emotional truth.

Bert

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

I have no real interest in 'historical novels' either, however much they are lauded.
      Nor I, though I'll take War and Peace and A Tale of Two Cities. I think novelists ought generally to write about what it's like to live in their own times - they should know that much better than they know what it's like to live in earlier times.

Comment

• Bert Coules
        • Nov 2010

This day, the 22nd of May, is the birthday of both Richard Wagner and Arthur Conan Doyle. Now there's a fictional meeting I wouldn't mind hearing a play about.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post
          This day, the 22nd of May, is the birthday of both Richard Wagner and Arthur Conan Doyle. Now there's a fictional meeting I wouldn't mind hearing a play about.
          Or writing one?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bert Coules
            • Nov 2010

Well, it's a thought, isn't it? And although the meeting itself would be fictional, the circumstances which made it possible would not: Wagner visited the UK several times, and Doyle was widely travelled, even in youth (he was 24 when Wagner died). Hard to know what they would have had in common, though, beyond a love of history and romantic literature, but maybe that would have been enough.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post
              Hard to know what they would have had in common, though, beyond a love of history and romantic literature, but maybe that would have been enough.
              Die Feen (von Cottingley)?
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bert Coules
                • Nov 2010

I hadn't thought of that. Mind you, Wagner's fearsome Immortals are a bit different from Sir Arthur's bottom-of-the-dell fairy folk, but it would be a start...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Bert

I've heard such an opinion described but never actually met anyone who thought it. I do know people who can't be bothered with novels though I doubt they would rationalise their dislike like that.
                  As a librarian I came across quite a few people who claimed never to read novels; I don't remember them claiming that novels were lies, just that they were somehow rather 'infra dig'. Many of these people did like reading biographies, especially the lighter kind, which could be said to be fiction of a sort.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                    As a librarian I came across quite a few people who claimed never to read novels; I don't remember them claiming that novels were lies, just that they were somehow rather 'infra dig'. Many of these people did like reading biographies, especially the lighter kind, which could be said to be fiction of a sort.
                    I'm quite easy about people thinking novels are a waste of their time and that they have no interest in them - that's just people being different. I can't abide contemporary science fiction or fantasy novels which are currently big among the younger generation of (male?)readers. Fine, but they don't interest me, any more than does contemporary fiction written for children.

As you suggest many 'factual' works written for a broad public make for easier reading than a heavy novel (I'm not making much headway with Kaputt yet ).
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

I can't abide contemporary science fiction or fantasy novels which are currently big among the younger generation of (male?)readers. Fine, but they don't interest me, any more than does contemporary fiction written for children.
                      I am not a great reader of science fiction or fantasy novels but after resisting for a long time reading books by Terry Pratchett (after starting one and not really getting on with it) I was finally persuaded recently to give him another go, and very much enjoyed his Pyramids. Like a lot of science fiction or fantasy, I suppose, his work seems to contain more oblique commentary or satire of contemporary life than pure fantasy. I also like his style and his wit.

I sometimes think long Mitteleuropean novels acquire a spurious and undeserved gravitas simply by virtue of being long and Mitteleuropean. I was put off reading anything Mitteleuropean for quite a long time after enduring Musil's The Man Without Qualities

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                        I sometimes think long Mitteleuropean novels acquire a spurious and undeserved gravitas simply by virtue of being long and Mitteleuropean. I was put off reading anything Mitteleuropean for quite a long time after enduring Musil's The Man Without Qualities
                        Damn! And there was me resisting Pratchett and having the Musil on my 'To read' list. But I'm sure you're right!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                          I am not a great reader of science fiction or fantasy novels but after resisting for a long time reading books by Terry Pratchett (after starting one and not really getting on with it) I was finally persuaded recently to give him another go, and very much enjoyed his Pyramids. Like a lot of science fiction or fantasy, I suppose, his work seems to contain more oblique commentary or satire of contemporary life than pure fantasy. I also like his style and his wit.

He has a wonderful, mordently inventive way with wordplay that I find irresistable. (And anyone who refers to "Folksong" being "perpetratred" in Pubs has my vote! )
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                          X