X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun 13 Feb: Büchner season

An exciting programme in prospect:

Sunday, 13 Feb, 8pm-9pm, Drama on 3: Danton's Death

Sunday, 13 Feb, 9.30pm, Sunday Feature, The World is Out of Order! - The Life, Work and Legacy of Georg Büchner

Sunday, 20 February, Drama on 3: Woyzeck

"Georg Buchner died in 1837 at the age of 23, by which time he had had only one play published, and none produced. His small legacy of work, remaining unproduced for nearly sixty years after his death, has come to represent some of the most exciting and radical theatre writing in the European Theatre canon."
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Hmmm, classic European theatre. Am I the only person who is remotely interested - or are we all waiting to hear the programmes first?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      . . . are we all waiting to hear the programmes first?
      Erm - I am, although can't answer for anybody else.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

I'm certainly interested, I just don't know anything about Buchner. Is Woyzeck as harrowing as the Berg opera? I find that very difficult to cope with and by the time the child appears at the end I feel I can't take any more. I can't think of many operas or plays which have the same effect.

Comment

Originally posted by tony yyy View Post
          I'm certainly interested, I just don't know anything about Buchner. Is Woyzeck as harrowing as the Berg opera? I find that very difficult to cope with and by the time the child appears at the end I feel I can't take any more. I can't think of many operas or plays which have the same effect.
          Can't answer for how close Woyzeck is to Wozzeck.

Checking with my handy compendium of all knowledge, I read that Woyzeck was unfinished and various endings have been added. It appears that Wozzeck adds the detail of the child. But the preceding in both is pretty strong stuff. Not light entertainment. I'm more looking forward to Danton's Death.

Comment

Working...
          X