Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are You Looking at?

As fair as I can see there isn't a general discussion Thread devoted to visual Art exhibitions that Forumistas may have visited (and apologies if I've missed it and this is a duplication). In the same way that people share their responses to what they've been listening to and reading, I wondered if this might be a Thread that provokes discussion, and perhaps even encourage new members to contribute. Obviously, there can't be the same multiple responses to the same CD/broadcast/book that there is on those Threads, because exhibitions are restricted to specific venues - but recommendations can be made and reactions shared.

To start the ball rolling, I've recently been several times to view the Hockney 25 Trees exhibits in the gallery of Salts Mill in Saltaire. The portraits are excellent (Hockney captures the facial expression of his brother ignoring the painter to attend to his mobile phone - he's obviously not entirely confident with the new technology) - and the eponymous photograph triptych of the trees themselves I found utterly absorbing.

But the particular "draw" for me is the continuous projection of Hockney's i-Pad Art: the images are wonderful in themselves, having a delightful combination of sponteneity and perception, and Hockney's command of colour is as attractive as ever - each reveals a realization of the potential of the new medium, and Hockney's ever-youthful enthusiasm for exploring new avenues of expression.

Even more fascinating for me is the element of "performance" in the presentation of the images. There are three screens, each showing a different picture; these images change at different times, so there are always three images on view, but whilst you look at one, another will change. Occasionally, one screen will show an image that another has recently shown, but now in the new "environment" of the different position and the different other images it occurs with. What Hockney is doing is creating a viewing experience that is closer to listening to Music than the traditional way of looking at visual Art. There, the viewers are in charge of how they look at a piece - letting their eyes pause or move around the painting/sculpture as they wish, staying as long on a work as they choose. With Music (in performance at least), a chord or phrase is played and then moves on - the listener has to wait for the composer/performer to bring the chord/phrase back. This is closer to the way Hockney presents his images, except that he is not in control of which picture appears when - the computer presents the images in random order. There is also a sort of three-part visual counterpoint in the way the three screens reflect upon each other and/or present complemntary images simultaneously.

I have spent many an hour in this dark, quiet space, wallowing in this soothing and haunting exhibition - beautiful in itself, and rich in revealing new ways of looking (at what are superbly "traditional" images - still lifes, landscapes, portraits) to the viewer.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    As fair as I can see there isn't a general discussion Thread devoted to visual Art exhibitions that Forumistas may have visited (and apologies if I've missed it and this is a duplication). In the same way that people share their responses to what they've been listening to and reading, I wondered if this might be a Thread that provokes discussion, and perhaps even encourage new members to contribute. Obviously, there can't be the same multiple responses to the same CD/broadcast/book that there is on those Threads, because exhibitions are restricted to specific venues - but recommendations can be made and reactions shared.

To start the ball rolling, I've recently been several times to view the Hockney 25 Trees exhibits in the gallery of Salts Mill in Saltaire. The portraits are excellent (Hockney captures the facial expression of his brother ignoring the painter to attend to his mobile phone - he's obviously not entirely confident with the new technology) - and the eponymous photograph triptych of the trees themselves I found utterly absorbing.

But the particular "draw" for me is the continuous projection of Hockney's i-Pad Art: the images are wonderful in themselves, having a delightful combination of sponteneity and perception, and Hockney's command of colour is as attractive as ever - each reveals a realization of the potential of the new medium, and Hockney's ever-youthful enthusiasm for exploring new avenues of expression.

Even more fascinating for me is the element of "performance" in the presentation of the images. There are three screens, each showing a different picture; these images change at different times, so there are always three images on view, but whilst you look at one, another will change. Occasionally, one screen will show an image that another has recently shown, but now in the new "environment" of the different position and the different other images it occurs with. What Hockney is doing is creating a viewing experience that is closer to listening to Music than the traditional way of looking at visual Art. There, the viewers are in charge of how they look at a piece - letting their eyes pause or move around the painting/sculpture as they wish, staying as long on a work as they choose. With Music (in performance at least), a chord or phrase is played and then moves on - the listener has to wait for the composer/performer to bring the chord/phrase back. This is closer to the way Hockney presents his images, except that he is not in control of which picture appears when - the computer presents the images in random order. There is also a sort of three-part visual counterpoint in the way the three screens reflect upon each other and/or present complemntary images simultaneously.

I have spent many an hour in this dark, quiet space, wallowing in this soothing and haunting exhibition - beautiful in itself, and rich in revealing new ways of looking (at what are superbly "traditional" images - still lifes, landscapes, portraits) to the viewer.
    Judging by the title of the thread, I thought that this was going to be a tribute to the movie Taxi Driver.
    I was in Boston a few weeks ago and went to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. many great works but the most striking spaces are the blank frames representing the stolen and yet to be recovered works. What a shame.

Comment

The last exhibit that reallly moved me was an Edvard Munch retrospective that was at the New York MOMA a couple of years ago. I really only knew Munch from "The Scream" and this show showed his development, emotional breakdown and recovery and the works of his last decades.

Comment

Well! You live and learn ... the thread title spurred me to google art exhibitions bristol and the one that caught my attention was 'Back From the Front presents: Brothers in Art: John and Paul Nash', and on checking the RWA website for details I was immediately confronted by this image which I recognised as being on the sleeve cover of my CD of Howells's In Gloucestershire. I'd never thought to read the small print to find out where the detail came from.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          Judging by the title of the thread, I thought that this was going to be a tribute to the movie Taxi Driver.
          "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who
          the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here."

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

I was in Boston a few weeks ago and went to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. many great works but the most striking spaces are the blank frames representing the stolen and yet to be recovered works. What a shame.
            IIRC, the museum featured in a recentish BBC4 documentary over here about where stolen artworks go. It is a great loss, but quite a postmodern way of highlighting the problem!

The last exhibit that reallly moved me was an Edvard Munch retrospective that was at the New York MOMA a couple of years ago. I really only knew Munch from "The Scream" and this show showed his development, emotional breakdown and recovery and the works of his last decades.
            I don't think I've ever seen a Munch "Live" (so to speak) - in fact, there are so many works by the most famous names that I know from photographs and other reproductions but have never seen. One of the reasons I've started making more time to devote to galleries. I have seen works by Paul Nash, whom frenchie mentions - there was an exhibition at the (old) Towner Art Gallery in Eastbourne about twenty years ago. These "small" local galleries are often imaginative and rewarding. I do hope Forumistas will post their experiences about these on this Thread, as well as the "big names".

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
              "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who
              the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here."
              Shouldn't this be on the "Where is everyone?" Thread?

Comment

Another thing about the forum - what it spurs you to investigate. I shall certainly get down to the RWA and report back. (And I feel more confident about that than talking about music where I would equate my ability with that of the students who when writing essays about a novel spent most of the time 'telling the story'.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Another thing about the forum - what it spurs you to investigate. I shall certainly get down to the RWA and report back. (And I feel more confident about that than talking about music where I would equate my ability with that of the students who when writing essays about a novel spent most of the time 'telling the story'.
                  For anyone on a visit to Bristol, the City Museum, nearly next to the Uni, has a fantastic collection of art, especially 19th and early 20th century - or had when I was living there.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    I must say I would like to see this exhibition, ferney, though sadly there isn't much chance of it coming hereabouts (Gloucestershire). I saw the TV programme - Arena? - about his way of putting it together and found it fascinating. Nothing like the same as experiencing it in the way you have, though.

I hope to find time to visit another, more conventional, exhibition of watercolours and drawings by various artists about Tintern Abbey at Chepstow Museum:

http://www.monmouthshire.gov.uk/wp-c...lish-Final.pdf

It's interesting to see David Jones' name among those of Turner and Gainsborough. I know of him mainly through his poetry and also some illustrations and engravings but little about his watercolour work. What a versatile and accomplished artist he was!

Comment

Matisse Cut-Outs at Tate Modern is overwhelming on many levels. Makes music played in your home seem rather insignificant.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        For anyone on a visit to Bristol, the City Museum, nearly next to the Uni, has a fantastic collection of art, especially 19th and early 20th century - or had when I was living there.
                        A few years ago I noticed that Bristol City Museum were hosting a travelling National Gallery (I think) exhibition of "Portraits". I duly went along and, amongst many outstanding paintings, I was astonished to find Rembrant's stunning "Belshazzar's Feast" occupying one wall. I went back early on the final Sunday morning, when it was quiet, to just gaze in wonder.

The last London exhibition I went to was probably the wonderful 2002 Picasso/Matisse at Tate Modern, which I found revelatory. (I saw the unmistakable George Melly getting out of a lift.)

Comment

Shortly I'm going to a Hockney, (not the same one as ferney!) and one on mining art, both at The Bowes Museum:- Hockney – Printmaker. Focusing on Hockney’s two main print techniques – etching and lithography – the exhibition, curated by Richard Lloyd, Head of Prints at Christie’s, gives an informative, enlightening and entertaining overview of the artist’s graphic career to date.

Shafts of Light - Mining Art in the Great Northern Coalfield. A salute to a once essential and powerful workforce this exhibition - which features around 70 paintings, including works by renowned mining artists Norman Cornish (who has been mentioned recently on the Stormy Thread) and Tom McGuinness – vividly illustrates the working environment of coalminers through their own interpretation of life in and around the North East of England

The last Bristol exhibition I went to was Banksy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                            Matisse Cut-Outs at Tate Modern is overwhelming on many levels. Makes music played in your home seem rather insignificant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=rLgSd8ka0Gs
                            Do you mind! I've got the Belcea Quartet staying here!

Brilliant exhibition, I really ought to get down to London to see it. There was an Exhibition in Berwick-upon-Tweed three years ago in which some of these were shown (alongside some reproductions). The invention of Matisse makes the heart sing and the soul dance.

Comment

The Making Colour exhibition at the National Gallery, which has but a few weeks to run, is worth seeing. It is less about the works themselves (which are all taken from the Gallery's collection) but rather uses these as examples to illustrate the process by which paint is made, and the development of colour theory which informs how they are arranged on the canvas to create harmonies and tensions. The process by which ultra-marine is obtained shows why, in addition to its being made from semi-precious lapis-lazuli, it is such an expensive pigment. It is so much more alluring than the blues made from cheaper materials or through chemical synthesis. The variety of raw materials that are used to create paints covers animal, vegetable and mineral, processed in a variety of ways. The audio-visual guide is a genuine enhancement to the displays. There is also a fascinating interactive video loop in the small auditorium that graphically illustrates that colour perception is a function of the brain's processing rather than an innate quality of an object. I completely lost track of time at this show, finding that hours had passed by in a flash.

Comment

Working...
                              X