No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't Stop the Music - Channel 4

Thiis could be interesting:

Two-part documentary in which pianist James Rhodes attempts to give schoolchildren the chance to learn a musical instrument by calling for an 'instrument amnesty'.
    Last edited by Old Grumpy; 10-09-14, 08:45. Reason: Lost apostrophe

Worth a watch, as long as the real culprits are named and shamed. I've just set it to record on +1.

Comment

Stopped watching 3/4 of the way through. Too depressing.

Back in the 80's, many of the people I went to music college with either came from well off backgrounds or had parents for whom music really mattered.

Comment

I agree it was very depressing. I know programmes like this are heavily edited, but I got the impression that not many of the children were really enjoying learning - one or two were. They aren't used to the kind of persistence that learning an instrument takes, and some of them looked miserable. The ignorance and philistinism from one or two teachers was depressing as well.

James Rhodes isn't really on the 'classical' pianist circuit, is he? I've heard of him, but don't know quite where he fits in. He is right, though, to be shocked at the state of music education in many schools.

Comment

Scary maybe, but IME - and I help with a Youth Orchestra - almost every detail from Head Teachers' attitudes / binds imposed on them to stuff about Ofsted's attitudes / local funding - absolutely spot on, nay depressingly spot on target.

And yes, some of the culprits were named.

Comment

I'll watch it tomorrow when I've got the strength to face it.

Comment

All power to him! But, in an age when it is so easy to find facts out, how can anyone fail to realise that an amnesty is a kind of pardon, not just an invitation to hand stuff over!

Comment

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                All power to him! But, in an age when it is so easy to find facts out, how can anyone fail to realise that an amnesty is a kind of pardon, not just an invitation to hand stuff over!
                Yes - I'd noticed this: does it mean that, if the kids don't continue with their lessons, the instruments are given back to their donors?

It comes from "gun amnesty", I suppose - where illegally-held firearms are handed over to the police who look the other way, rather than arresting the owners for illegal possession.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                  James Rhodes isn't really on the 'classical' pianist circuit, is he? I've heard of him, but don't know quite where he fits in. He is right, though, to be shocked at the state of music education in many schools.
                  James Rhodes was on In Tune last week - sounded like he had a fairly unconventional background himself (for a classical pianist). Have recorded this, but not watched it yet.

OG

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Yes - I'd noticed this: does it mean that, if the kids don't continue with their lessons, the instruments are given back to their donors?

It comes from "gun amnesty", I suppose - where illegally-held firearms are handed over to the police who look the other way, rather than arresting the owners for illegal possession.
                    I haven't watched this yet
                    BUT

Youth Music had an "Instrument Amnesty" a few years ago
                    the idea was for folks to find unused instruments and donate them so that young people would have something to play and learn on.
                    Not sure how successful it was ?

I guess one would have to "look the other way" if someone was handing over a viola ? (THAT'S A JOKE ! I LOVE THE VIOLA)

So i've started to watch it (had to pause to do something else)
                    From the opening sequences one would imagine that somehow Orchestras NEVER ever go to do performances and things in schools ? which is very odd as it was nice to see some of the Southbank Sinfonia who I have worked with in schools on music projects ???

I hope this doesn't turn into a Gareth Malone style luvvie fest about how somehow no-one listens to music !
                    We DO need more music in schools, more instruments (INCLUDING ones made out of scrap !) and more exposure to a wide breadth of musics.

more later methinks ...
                    Last edited by MrGongGong; 10-09-14, 15:23.

Comment

Watching this now
                      The "music lesson" doesn't add up with what the head said before ?
                      The drums the children were "playing" (badly delivered lesson and dull, dull, dull but what do we expect when teachers are expected to deliver music with no training ?) were NEW and for a budget of £0 ? hummmm

It's theatre I guess
                      His basic premise seems to be that there is NO music in primary schools ?
                      which simply isn't true at all

What the children are excited by when he plays is HIM , he is a character that is not like the other people they meet.

I've had to stop watching i'm afraid, might have another go later

He is engaging and dynamic BUT the solution to the problem is NOT to simply give instruments to children what they need,IMV, are equally dynamic and committed people to work with them.
                      "Any rich fool can buy a Steinway"

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        But real talent to nick one.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          But real talent to nick one.
                          Indeed (and I wasn't referring to our esteemed colleague )

Comment

Watching this now
                            The drums the children were "playing" (badly delivered lesson and dull, dull, dull but what do we expect when teachers are expected to deliver music with no training ?) were NEW and for a budget of £0 ? hummmm

It's theatre I guess

What the children are excited by when he plays is HIM , he is a character that is not like the other people they meet.

I've had to stop watching i'm afraid, might have another go later

He is engaging and dynamic BUT the solution to the problem is NOT to simply give instruments to children what they need,IMV, are equally dynamic and committed people to work with them.

Well, Mr GG, that's as neat and skilful a way of avoiding the programme's issues as I've seen so far.

Comment

Watching this now

It's theatre I guess

Wasn't the point that there isn't music in ALL primary schools, that their teachers are frequently not able to communicate it if there is, and that only some children are having the chance of even a rudimentary musical education?

Comment

Working...
                              X