"I've never seen Star Wars" - unwatched classic films...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I've never seen Star Wars" - unwatched classic films...

I thought this might spark some interesting admissions and suggestions: which classic films have you never seen?

Actually, I never have seen Star Wars - well, all the way through, that is. (I suspect this thread ought to be about that too - not just films you haven't seen a single frame of).

Although I did go with some young French cousins to see The Empire Strikes Back in the cinema, when it came out, I suddenly recall - didn't understand a thing !

Add to Star Wars: Wizard of Oz, Dr Zhivago, Laurence of Arabia, Sound of Music... - quite a lot of the 'Christmas Day afternoon' standbys, in fact.

The thought was triggered by the fact that today was a classic 'watch a classic film' Sunday afternoon - drizzly, dark and chilly out. And so I watched a film recorded off the TV some time ago:

The Night of the Generals (1967)

How come I've never seen it before?! I loved it!

What a cast: Donald Pleasence, Philippe Noiret, Charles Gray, Tom Courtenay, Coral Browne, John Gregson, Nigel Stock, Christopher Plummer, Omar Sharif... and last but BY NO MEANS least, Peter O'Toole putting in a quite magnificent turn as a complete and total nutter....

Unexpected storyline - set in the latter stages of WW2 and knee-deep in German officers - but not a 'war story' as such, but more a detective crime drama.

Perfect for a nasty March afternoon!
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 15-03-15, 20:18.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

There are several, but I'd better start with the most glaring: Citizen Kane and Gone With the Wind (both of which I've had a copy of for years ).

Then there's anything with James Dean and (the young) Marlon Brando. Most of Marylin Monroe. Quite a bit of Paul Newman. Breakfast at Tiffany's. Most of Peter Sellars (including Dr Strangelove), 2001, Panet of the Apes, Love Story, Blade Runner (I fell asleep during it!), The Hollow Man, The Color Purple, The Matrix, and I can't think ...

Have I watched any films at all?

Let me think...

er...

Comment

Here goes:

All Quiet on the Wester Front
      An American in Paris
      Annie
      Apocolypse Now
      A Streetcar Named Desire
      The Best Years of Our Lives
      The Big Sleep
      Blade Runner
      Bonnie and Clyde
      Easy Rider
      42nd Street
      The Godfather (1, 2 & 3)
      High Noon
      Midnight Cowboy
      On the Waterfront
      One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
      Raging Bull
      Rebel Without a Cause
      Singin' in the Rain
      Vertigo
      Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
      Yankee Doodle Dandy

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        There are several, but I'd better start with the most glaring: Citizen Kane and Gone With the Wind (both of which I've had a copy of for years ).
        Citizen Kane is one I've watched many times, hoping to discover why it's supposed to be so great. So far, it hasn't clicked.

2001 has great cinematography and lousy continuity (in my view).

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Citizen Kane is one I've watched many times, hoping to discover why it's supposed to be so great. So far, it hasn't clicked...
          You are not the first person I've heard say something similar. This may explain my negative bias.

Comment

Star Wars and Star Trek (all of them)
            Lord of the Rings/Hobbit (all)
            One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
            Silence of the Lambs
            West Side Story
            Reservoir Dogs
            The Shining
            James Bond (all)
            to name but a few I can immediately think of.
            (Night of the Generals is v. good film!)

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              ... West Side Story ...
              Worth at least listening to for Marni Nixon's singing.

Comment

I'm assuming you have all seen Tap though?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  I'm assuming you have all seen Tap though?
                  Tried repeatedly due to friends' passionate advocacy but never made it all the way through, didn't do it for me at all.

Reassuring to read of others' lacunae - I thought I was going to be ribbed for my failings!

Of those mentioned, the ones that stand out as being among my absolute favourites of which I would encourage a viewing are

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  The Godfather (1 & 2.... but don't bother with 3! )
                  The Shining
                  And glad you liked 'Generals' too, Anna!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Star Wars and Star Trek (all of them)
                    Lord of the Rings/Hobbit (all)
                    One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
                    Silence of the Lambs
                    West Side Story
                    Reservoir Dogs
                    The Shining
                    James Bond (all)
                    to name but a few I can immediately think of.
                    (Night of the Generals is v. good film!)
                    Crikey! How did you manage that? I don't watch much TV and I rarely go to the cinema, but I've seen all those! To be honest, the only Bond films I've seen are the Connery ones and one Roger Moore at the cinema, all by about 1973 and never since!!!

Roger Moore was better in The Persuaders.

And just the original Star Wars in Leicester Square on release and the first Star Trek, no mas.

I assume you've seen Tap?

P.S. Witchfinder General's better than Night Of The Generals!!
                    Last edited by Beef Oven!; 16-03-15, 04:21. Reason: Persuaders comment

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      Crikey! How did you manage that? I don't watch much TV and I rarely go to the cinema, but I've seen all those! To be honest, the only Bond films I've seen are the Connery ones and one Roger Moore at the cinema, all by about 1973 and never since!!!

Roger Moore was better in The Persuaders.

And just the original Star Wars in Leicester Square on release and the first Star Trek, no mas.

I assume you've seen Tap?

P.S. Witchfinder General's better than Night Of The Generals!!
                      Hoya Anna,

I have also not seen any:
                      Star Wars and Star Trek
                      Lord of the Rings/Hobbit

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                        There are several, but I'd better start with the most glaring: Citizen Kane).
                        I've twice tried to watch Citizen Kane, intrigued by its frequent mentions as the greatest film ever made, but did not get very far.

A cult film which has given pleasure to millions but which I've twice only managed a very little of, even with a couple of drinks, is The Wicker Man.

Comment

I've managed to avoid The Sound of Music and intend to go to my grave without seeing it. Unfortunately this intention was compromised by being manipulated into going to see the stage version in London a few years ago; fortunately I managed to get into a massive traffic jam and missed the whole of Act I.

Comment

An article in last Saturday's Guardian on Blade Runner calls it 'one of the most visually stunning films ever made', and one of the greatest ever science fiction films. What do others think who've seen it? - I haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              An article in last Saturday's Guardian on Blade Runner calls it 'one of the most visually stunning films ever made', and one of the greatest ever science fiction films. What do others think who've seen it? - I haven't.
                              It is

I've also avoided The Sound of Music

Comment

Working...
                              X