• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Peter Grimes on Aldeburgh Beach: BBC4 TV, Sunday 24.5.15

I missed this apparently stunning experience, and haven't seen it on screen, so am looking forward to this:

A staging of Benjamin Britten's Peter Grimes, on the beach that inspired the opera.

Due to be on the iPlayer too, after broadcast at 7pm this Sunday 24th on BBC4
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

I have the DVD. It's moving, particularly if you understand the connection between the setting and the music (which not every casual viewer will) but I don't think Grimes himself is particularly well sung by Alan Oke. It must have been a stunning experience for the people actually there, in spite of the inevitable musical compromises.
    Last edited by Mary Chambers; 22-05-15, 09:11.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

I was just trying to remember the details of this. Our thread at the time said the orchestra was pre-recorded but the singers live, is that right ?

Comment

• Mary Chambers
        • Nov 2010

As far as I remember, yes. I think there was some backup recording for the chorus.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

We're heading that way in a week's time, on our (mainly my!) annual pilgrimage. I'll definitely (is "defo" a Scrabble word yet?) be watching this, having missed it last time round. This year we're not coinciding with the Festival, we'll be trying to dodge Chris Packham and co at Minsmere.
          Last edited by Guest; 22-05-15, 12:19. Reason: typo!

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Yes but you would never have known that the orchestra was not responding to the singers on the night . I was lucky enough to have been there on the Friday night and it was an extraordinary and wonderful experience - from the Spitfire at the start to the very end . The weather joined in by giving us a little drizzle and a moon appearing from between clouds in the final scenes .

I shall be watching .

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Three cheers (and a pint of Adnams ) for Dave and Ian who did the sound
              (they also did the helicopters for Mittwoch aus Licht )

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Under 20 minutes to go now. Nearly missed this one - I'll see if I can record it.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I acquired a DVD of this production on its theatrical release last year. This was made in 16:9 format and,as I was also recording tonight's transmission to hard drive, I was please to note that the widescreen option was used to match more effectively many of the horizontal long shots. It remains a most compelling experience although, IMV, Alan Opie lacked the high definition driven energy which defines the role of Grimes. Disappointed that the cast interviews were not included as the discussion on the DVD was worthwhile and comments on the Making of...by Margaret Williams (film director) in the booklet notes, and the weeks of pre-production filming of the changing landscape would surely have interested the viewer, including the placement of the cameras. For once, the concept of placing the production in 1945 was quite inspired.

I'm cutting these comments short as I'm keen to record the Perspectives series, War Art, presented by Eddie Redmayne on ITV (sic) at 22.15-23.15hrs, TONIGHT, (24 May). This will make an ideal filler to the Peter Grimes feature on DVD, overnight.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                    I have the DVD. It's moving, particularly if you understand the connection between the setting and the music (which not every casual viewer will) but I don't think Grimes himself is particularly well sung by Alan Oke. It must have been a stunning experience for the people actually there, in spite of the inevitable musical compromises.
                    I watched this.
                    Stunning and as you say Mary very moving,terrifying where it should be too.
                    I have been to Aldeburgh,flying visit many years ago,walked on that beach and visited the graves of BB and PP

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      I watched this.
                      Stunning and as you say Mary very moving,terrifying where it should be too.
                      Watching now. Wide shots and ensemble sections are indeed stunning. I like a lot less all the close-ups (I suppose they have to include them to make sense of who's singing what, for the less familiar with the piece), the earpieces and cheek mikes breaking the spell. But the wideangle sections with sea- and sky-scapes (which would have been the experience of audience members) hint at what a breathtaking thing this must have been to attend.

Haven't made my mind up about Oke's Grimes yet.

EDIT: he delivered an absolutely gorgeous rendition of the "Bear and Pleiades" aria - heart-stopping.

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 25-05-15, 00:43.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Haven't made my mind up about Oke's Grimes yet.

EDIT: he delivered an absolutely gorgeous rendition of the "Bear and Pleiades" aria - heart-stopping.

Yes, that was surprisingly good, but overall he didn't convince me. I loved Giselle Allen's Ellen.

Although I know the piece inside out, and have watched the DVD more than once I found myself completely caught up in the production last night.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                          Yes, that was surprisingly good, but overall he didn't convince me. I loved Giselle Allen's Ellen.
                          Yes I see what you mean about Oke not quite cutting it dramatically overall, but I'd forgive him a lot for that "Bear and Pleiades"

However, I couldn't bear the singing of the Ellen Orford The 'embroidery' aria and 'we shall be there' duet was the best bit, when she was singing more intimately; and I could see she was giving a good dramatic performance. One of those cases where it would have been good live, but a voice which the microphones render shrill, I found, when singing out (which is most of the time).

The orchestral playing and interpretation was wonderful throughout, I thought.
                          Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 25-05-15, 15:40.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                            • Nov 2010

However, I couldn't bear the singing of the Ellen Orford

The orchestral playing and interpretation was wonderful though, I thought.
                            That's interesting. I saw her sing Ellen live in a different production, and didn't like her at all, so I was surprised at my reaction to this performance.

Agree about the Britten-Pears orchestra - youngsters - and Steuart Bedford. It must have been tough conducting that from his burrow in the shingle!

Comment

• Zucchini
                              • Nov 2010

The orchestral playing and interpretation was wonderful throughout, I thought.
                              Pre-recorded of course

Comment

Working...
                              X