Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice days out

used our english heritage membership to visit battle abbey today, was a nice day out...anyone else visit english heritage/national trust places regularly ?
    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Chirk Castle last week. Excellent day out, extensive and reasonably interesting gardens, and a cracking castle.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

In 2019 My O-H bought me a year's membership of the National Trust and we had a delightful time visiting all the places within reach. It was lucky we decided not to renew it the following year as it was the year when our ever-popular leader decided to shut everything down.

Comment

Volunteering with the National Trust guarantees a nice day out in my experience. See you at Orford Ness.

Comment

We try to use the memberships of National Trust (England) and Historic Scotland (reciprocal entry to English Heritage) wherever we can. On Holiday, in the morning a trip out on Loch Leven to the Castle (Kinross),a week or so ago. We then we visited Kellie Castle in Fife. It had one of the best maintained and interesting wallled gardens I have ever visited - and it was a lovely sunny, relatively wind free day.
          Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 03-09-23, 23:08. Reason: To make it clear the walled garden was not on Loch Leven

Comment

Members of both EH and NT here, though shamefully haven't yet been to the newly reopened Clifford's Tower in York, so must remedy that soon.
            Each year we wonder about renewing though (particularly NT) as we don't approve of everything they do (especially to their resident Lake District crofters/shepherds, for example).

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Each year we wonder about renewing though (particularly NT) as we don't approve of everything they do (especially to their resident Lake District crofters/shepherds, for example).
              Likewise, in these parts, to say nothing of the Stonehenge road building fiasco.

Comment

We joined the National Trust about 40 years ago (at Housesteads fort Hadrian's Wall, I remember) and have been members ever since. We certainly don't agree with everything they do, but generally we have no regrets. It is useful to be able to visit local venues (in our case, Avebury, Dyrham House, Buscot House, Lacock and others) whenever one likes, free of charge, eg if going with visitors who have never been there before

We later also signed up for English Heritage.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  We joined the National Trust about 40 years ago (at Housesteads fort Hadrian's Wall, I remember) and have been members ever since. We certainly don't agree with everything they do, but generally we have no regrets. It is useful to be able to visit local venues (in our case, Avebury, Dyrham House, Buscot House, Lacock and others) whenever one likes, free of charge, eg if going with visitors who have never been there before

We later also signed up for English Heritage.
                  But you'd still have to pay for your non-member visitors, wouldn't you? Or they'd have to pay for themselves, all the while saying to themselves "All right for some, eh?"

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

But you'd still have to pay for your non-member visitors, wouldn't you? Or they'd have to pay for themselves, all the while saying to themselves "All right for some, eh?"
                    In the spirit of being an exemplary host I pay for them, unless they vehemently insist on forking out for themselves. In the case of visitors staying with us as part of our French twinning (such things still exist despite Brexit) we always pay, as they do for us in France.

Comment

Great afternoon at Yorkshire Sculpture Park on the way back from the South today. Very handy for M1. Really interesting exhibition of Erwin Wurm's art.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

We tend to suggest places knowing that our visitors are members but might not have been to the properties before.
                        And if not members then naturally we offer to pay too, if the prospect of the visit appeals.
                        And then our guests pay for an evening meal, so everyone wins!

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

In the spirit of being an exemplary host I pay for them, unless they vehemently insist on forking out for themselves. In the case of visitors staying with us as part of our French twinning (such things still exist despite Brexit) we always pay, as they do for us in France.
                          Which is the answer I'd been hoping you'd give!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

We tend to suggest places knowing that our visitors are members but might not have been to the properties before.
                            And if not members then naturally we offer to pay too, if the prospect of the visit appeals.
                            And then our guests pay for an evening meal, so everyone wins!

Comment

Working...
                            X