• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Britten on Camera, BBC4, 31st May '15

Pleased to see that Benjamin Britten on Camera will be shown on BBC 4, tonight,(31st May), 19.00-20.00hrs. The documentary examines the composer's broadcasting legacy, meeting some of the musicians he wrote for, visiting the Suffolk coast that inspired him, and hearing from the producers who brought his music to a wide audience.

Fortuitous, too, as I transferred Peter Grimes on Aldeburgh beach from hard drive to DVD only a few days ago. Pondered on a matching companion piece for a 240mins DVD and finally settled for a programme from the Masterworks series, Six Pieces of Britain (no pun intended!) on a transfer from an off-air video, recorded on BBC 2, 31st July 1999. An ideal slot for a 74mins programme. The work covered in rehearsal and full performance was Britten's Serenade for Tenor, Horn & Strings, one of his most evocative works, a benchmark in his oeuvre, setting to music poetry by Keats, Tennyson and Blake. Elegantly presented by Michael Berkeley, the composer's godson, the rehearsal sequences and performance recorded at Blythburgh Church in Suffolk, include Ian Bostridge as soloist, with Timothy Brown as the horn soloist with Sir Colin Davis conducting the strings of the BBC SO. The aerial shots from Aldeburgh to Blythburgh a particular treat with the opening sequence also complementing the setting for Peter Grimes.

The programme also includes archive footage covering Britten's development, particularly in the 30s, when he worked for the Ministry of Information and documentary productions. I wonder whether the Beeb still have the rights to this six-part series as the features on Belshazzar's Feast at Leeds Town Hall and subsequent programmes on DSCH and Berg are outstanding and regularly viewed here. I'm sure that a few of the forum dedicated collectors do likewise!
    Last edited by Stanley Stewart; 31-05-15, 11:23. Reason: dizzy fingers!
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Thank you!
    Last edited by pastoralguy; 31-05-15, 18:43. Reason: Stray 's'!

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

I'll be watching - as if I haven't seen it already! I didn't notice it was on until this afternon. There doesn't seem to have been much publicity about it this time.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Thanks for the info. Just off to set it to "record".

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

It's available on YouTube as well.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

A quite enthralling 60 mins. The archive footage left me exhilarated with so many memories of an earlier era; initially, my first visit to the rebuilt Coventry Cathedral in the early 60s, followed by Aldeburgh, visits to the Red House and, of course, fish and chips in the High Street! Many productions of Peter Grimes over the years, followed by the other operas at Covent Garden and the ENO, or at Glasgow, Aberdeen, Manchester or Birmingham, and a few memorable Britten/ Pears recitals at several venues. The last time I heard Peter Pears, in recital, was at the Wigmore Hall. He finally returned for an unaccompanied encore, I wonder as I wander; his capacity for concentrated stillness was always a master class in itself. My desert island choice.

Comment

• ChrisBennell
              • Sep 2014

Missed this evening's broadcast, but on checking it's a repeat of the programme from Nov 2013 Centenary Celebrations - which fortunately I still have on my Humax hard drive - so must watch it again! Wasn't aware it was on YouTube too.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                • Nov 2010

Lovely programme, though I'm not sure whether to be amused or shocked by Eric Crozier's snide comments about Britten being unable to write about male/female love. He was a co-founder of the Aldeburgh Festival, the librettist of Albert Herring, Let's Make an Opera, and (with EM Forster) Billy Budd, and famously one of Britten's 'corpses' - dropped without ceremony. He was clearly getting his own back!

Stanley - I visited Coventry Cathedral in the early 60s, too. Perhaps our paths crossed!
                Last edited by Mary Chambers; 31-05-15, 22:13.

Comment

• hmvman
                  • Mar 2007

Thanks for the tip-off, Stanley. I'll catch it via the iPlayer. I think I saw it when it was broadcast as part of the Centenary programming but I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

Was this the programme with Humphrey Burton, and, as I recall, a part where Britten insisted the BBC decamp to Snape to record/broadcast one of the operas (Grimes?) and Burton decribed it was very difficult to manage......

(If this was a new program, I am mortified, as I was at the end of a holiday abroad and will be limited to iPlayer and a Computer screen!).

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      Was this the programme with Humphrey Burton, and, as I recall, a part where Britten insisted the BBC decamp to Snape to record/broadcast one of the operas (Grimes?) and Burton decribed it was very difficult to manage......
                      'twas indeed as you describe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                        Thanks for the tip-off, Stanley. I'll catch it via the iPlayer. I think I saw it when it was broadcast as part of the Centenary programming but I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

I thought I'd seen it and recognised some parts, but obviously hadn't watched the whole thing - as the section with Michael (Some Mothers do 'Ave 'Em) Crawford working with Britten on Noye's Fludde (and having his music re-arranged by the composer due to his descending/breaking voice) came as an intriguing surprise - esp. seeing the youthful Crawford in the archive footage.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Yes this was a repeat. (Naughty of the BBC not to admit repeats in the RT any more.) BTW it was Billy Budd, not Grimes...with that lovely bit about someone having to hum a note for Peter Glossop to come in on cue. I enjoyed watching it a second time.

What an amazing place BBC2 was in those days...largely due to David Attenborough, it seems.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                            BTW it was Billy Budd, not Grimes...
                            Wasn't it Owen Wingrave that Britten insisted must be filmed at Snape? Budd was recorded entirely at the BBC studios, using so much technical co-ordination (in order to give the production the feeling of a "Classic Drama") that Britten felt unable to conduct it, and so Mackerras did (rather splendidly).

with that lovely bit about someone having to hum a note for Peter Glossop to come in on cue.
                            Yes, that was priceless - along with Steuart Bedford miming cues to the order of weapons in Pears' aria in Wingrave and the other cast members having to concentrate on their soup bowls in order to stop giggling.

I enjoyed watching it a second time

What an amazing place BBC2 was in those days...largely due to David Attenborough, it seems.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                              (Naughty of the BBC not to admit repeats in the RT any more.)
                              The non-'terrestrial' channels never did - as they all systematically recycle programming. BBCFour progs have never been described as repeats. You have to go online to the programme page to see dates of previous transmissions.
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X