No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dartington Summer Music School and Festival faces axe

75 years of excellence now faces the chop -

Future plans for Dartington Summer School and Festival are under review, and artistic director Sara Mohr-Pietsch has stood down

Director Sara Mohr-Pietsch and her staff have resigned. It’s all another sad step in the slow cultural death of the South West .

if you feel emboldened to sign the petition here is the link

I am noticing a trend in arts council cutting funding for classical music related arts, i wonder why.
    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
      I am noticing a trend in arts council cutting funding for classical music related arts, i wonder why.
      As a general trend you are right but the Summer school doesn’t get Arts Council funding. The problem is more to do with the financial state of the charitable trust that runs Dartington. It’s excellent Arts focused Further / Higher Education College which had a very good music department closed some years ago,

Comment

Signed and paid.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Signed and paid.
          Thank you, There are few areas in which we as individuals can effect change for the better but perhaps this is one. The number of composers for example who have benefited from their bursary scheme over the years to pay for the outstanding composers course (which is very reasonably priced)
          Not to mention the excellent. jazz, chamber , opera ,instrumental vocal tuition …the list goes on.

Comment

Signed & paid. Unbelievable that it should end.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

As a general trend you are right but the Summer school doesn’t get Arts Council funding. The problem is more to do with the financial state of the charitable trust that runs Dartington. It’s excellent Arts focused Further / Higher Education College which had a very good music department closed some years ago,
              Things do seem to have been a bit of a financial mess there for a few years.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Richard Morrison, in today's Times:

His final paragraph is:

I suppose we should be grateful that this little glimpse of musical paradise each summer lasted as long as it did before the harsh logic of the balance sheet consigned it to history. But right now its probable demise seems horribly emblematic of so much else in our cultural life. For the musicians of tomorrow, yet another inspiring avenue to understanding and expertise has been blocked off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Richard Morrison, in today's Times:

His final paragraph is:

I suppose we should be grateful that this little glimpse of musical paradise each summer lasted as long as it did before the harsh logic of the balance sheet consigned it to history. But right now its probable demise seems horribly emblematic of so much else in our cultural life. For the musicians of tomorrow, yet another inspiring avenue to understanding and expertise has been blocked off.
                  Good piece. Thanks for posting . The main article on Arts funding is also very interesting.

Comment

An update. Qualified(it's a one year fix, and not at Dartington) good news
                    The Dartington Summer School and Festival has been held in Devon for 75 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X