Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Folk Traditions

Rachel and Becky Unthank continue their journey around England's hidden customs and dance traditions and into the dark heart of its winter pastimes. The foll...

Thought this was going to be about Trick or Treat...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      Thought this was going to be about Trick or Treat...

That's not a British tradition.

Comment

....it must have been a great release for folk to be someone else for a few hours, and no doubt put a few back....
        bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

That's not a British tradition.
          Quite!...

...but it seems to have become embedded now

Comment

...Here's Under the Greenwood Tree Thomas Hardy : a really excellent 2004 production with spirited music due an outing on BBC4 I should think...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc2NFLgBsZw
            Last edited by eighthobstruction; 01-11-23, 13:23.
            bong ching

Comment

Perhaps not yet a tradition, but certainly British and Folk...

... it so happens that yesterday I revisited this CD, which I purchased at a launch recital in Gateshead:

Kitty Whately - This Other Eden

Looking for a suitable link, I came across this rather enchanting launch video

The CD is equally enchanting and can be sampled here

Comment

I always think of the late Keith Tippett's joke about the blind village inhabitant's complaint about the latest local Morris Dance troupe's act update. Previously it had been OK, he said, but not now that they were wearing bells!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I always think of the late Keith Tippett's joke about the blind village inhabitant's complaint about the latest local Morris Dance troupe's act update. Previously it had been OK, he said, but not now that they were wearing bells!
                  ... when it is said that "you should try everything once" there are always disclaimers. Instructive that these usually include incest, morris-dancing, necrophilia, and folk music

I tend to agree

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    ....it must have been a great release for folk to be someone else for a few hours, and no doubt put a few back....
                    I know what you mean eighth. It is a great way to spend an evening and a great excuse for a few jars.

I enjoyed the video, though what attracted my attention was mention of The Unthanks. Being once familiar with their music helped my enjoyment of their journey and I was delighted to see the context of one of their songs. Mind you, that old rallying cry 'Freedom of Speech' twisted and turned through the streets of the video, did it not?

Tar Barrel in Dale

RACHEL UNTHANK and the WINTERSET. New Year Song - Live - Tar Barrel in Dale. - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                    X