No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC4 - Soprano Sundays

This is the daily broadcast schedule for BBC Four

just stumbled across this, noticed sunday evenings is classical music related on bbc four these days
    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Yes, I'm looking forward to the Gerald Moore programmes. I wish the BBC would dig out more of their 1950s/'60's archive material. There must, for instance , be some film of Sargent and Boult conducting.

Comment

Loved the Bernard Levin documentary that followed his interview with Kiri.

Fond memories of his more-or-less daily articles in The Times, particularly when discussing his favourite composers, primarily Wagner.

Comment

Next Sunday 19th - Joan Sutherland, Danielle de Niese, Victoria de los Angeles plus La Voix Humaine (Poulenc).

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post

Fond memories of his more-or-less daily articles in The Times, particularly when discussing his favourite composers, primarily Wagner.
          I so agree, I'd like to see Levin's travel programmes repeated, the excerpts showed how entertaining they were.

Comment

Gradus, email bbc four suggesting it ?
            Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

So this thread is not about The Sopranos. And should it in any case be soprani.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                So this thread is not about The Sopranos. And should it in any case be soprani.
                Or, as has happened with the panino, sopranis.

(But seriously, it's been adopted into English, so we have sopranos, altos, tenors, basses, concertos, and so on.)

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Or, as has happened with the panino, sopranis.

(But seriously, it's been adopted into English, so we have sopranos, altos, tenors, basses, concertos, and so on.)
                  And that's just in the transgender section!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
                    Gradus, email bbc four suggesting it ?
                    A good idea I'll take up.

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post

Me too. I saw Bernard Levin many times at London concerts and even found him sitting next to me at a Barbican concert in 1983. I never quite plucked up the courage to talk to him, apart from a polite greeting, but wish I had. Too late now.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        I so agree, I'd like to see Levin's travel programmes repeated, the excerpts showed how entertaining they were.
                        Agreed too, both on the documentary and the travel programmes. Clive James & (especially) Michael Palin get plenty of repeats - quite rightly - but there’s ample room for more Levin.

Nice too to see a clip from Face the Music - one or two complete episodes have surfaced over the years, I wonder how many they have in the archive?
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I wonder if this is a first fruit of Suzy Klein's work at BBC4.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Agreed too, both on the documentary and the travel programmes. Clive James & (especially) Michael Palin get plenty of repeats - quite rightly - but there’s ample room for more Levin.

Nice too to see a clip from Face the Music - one or two complete episodes have surfaced over the years, I wonder how many they have in the archive?
                            Taking up Jason's suggestion I rang up the BBC and asked for the several series that Levin made to be repeated. I couldn't find any email contact details for BBC4 programmes but spoke to a contact helpline actually manned by a real person and he said that he would pass on the request. In case anyone wants to add their voice, the number I used was 037001002222.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Me too. I saw Bernard Levin many times at London concerts and even found him sitting next to me at a Barbican concert in 1983. I never quite plucked up the courage to talk to him, apart from a polite greeting, but wish I had. Too late now.
                              I stood in the Proms Arena for the Boulez Parsifal in 1972 and Bernard Levin was seated a few feet away.

I also enjoyed those programmes on Sunday and was very grateful that they were re-broadcast. I was living in Germany in the early-mid 70s and missed nearly everything on TV at that time.

Comment

Working...
                              X