Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Byrne dies aged 83

The death has been announced of the great Scottish artist, playwright, and film maker, John Byrne at the age of 83. John was born in Paisley, Renfrewshire and studied at Glasgow School of Art. He was employed in Stoddart's carpet field in Elderslie and that is where the inspiration came from for his play 'The Slab Boys', which became a big hit. I first noticed him when he did illustrations for LPs by the likes of Donovan and the Humblebums, which he did for his long-time buddies Gerry Rafferty and Billy Connolly. In the mid-seventies I recall seeing an exhibition by him in Paisley Museum and Art Gallery and thinking it was terrific. He's probably best know for 'Tutti Frutti', a TV series which launched the careers of Robbie Coltraine, Emma Thomson and Richard Wilson.

He continued to paint throughout his years. Last year he had a major retrospective in Kelvingrove Art Gallery in Glasgow and it was one of the finest shows I have ever seen, showcasing his art, his film-making and his humour. The world has just lost a bit of colour with the great man's passing.
    The 83-year-old was an acclaimed designer and painter and found his widest audience writing for TV.

​​​​​​​

....Fabulous artist....even when on his back doing ceilings....very lovely all round man of the people....

bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      ....Fabulous artist....even when on his back doing ceilings....very lovely all round man of the people....

I always knew it wasn't Michelangelo......... I just KNEW it.

Comment

Here's what the Guardian has to say about 'Patrick'

...and here's the song about him.

Comment

....there was a very good ....warm....bio doc about him about 5-6 yrs ago on bbc Scotland....I hope they dig it out and make it available...
          bong ching

Comment

Working...
          X