Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiz

No idea where this would be best posted, so I'll try here - hope it isn't duplicated elsewhere.

I did better in this than I did in Unlock Democracy's quiz this morning which finished with: Congratulations! You got 5 out of 20
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      No idea where this would be best posted, so I'll try here - hope it isn't duplicated elsewhere.
      https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...cal-music-quiz
      I scored 10, at least some of which were lucky guesses.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I scored 10, at least some of which were lucky guesses.
        Okay, I own up. I got 10 too on this one, a majority - I think - being lucky guesses.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Quizzzzzzz...

...same territory for me as bored games and jig sores, I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            Quizzzzzzz...

...same territory for me as bored games and jig sores, I'm afraid.
            I admit to having a fascination with questions. Do I possess that information? Can I work out what the answer is? Am I completely out of my depth?

Comment

Is there an answer to the problem of people who seem to really seem to enjoy answering questions and solving problems (or at least trying to)?

Comment

In the knowledge that this is not actually a forum contest, 15. Some guesses but much easier with a one in three chance. My knowledge of contemporary music let me down.

Comment

It isn't actually about 'classical music' so much as recent news items relating to classical music. 17/20 at my second attempt (one question I got wrong again!).

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    It isn't actually about 'classical music' so much as recent news items relating to classical music. 17/20 at my second attempt (one question I got wrong again!).
                    Yes, quite right. I should have been more precise. Sort of thing I would correct from one of my pupils!

Comment

I'll have ago at it, but frankie's warning reminds me of disappointing quizzes of the past, which claim to be 'general knowledge' but turn out to be all about contemporary pop music and football.

In an era of Google, I wonder what counts as 'well-informed' . I remember one poor chap who went on 'Mastermind' and completely flopped in the 'General Knowledge' round; I suspected he had a local reputation and had been egged on to do it.

Comment

I didn't really know any of the questions , so I guessed, based on what I thought was likely , and surprised myself by getting 16. I suppose it's a bit like a regular crossword. You get to know the mind of the person setting it.

Comment

It does say: "Have you been paying attention this year?" No, because as with BBC quizzes on eg 'the news of 2023' I get near 0/20 because they choose the kind of news items I haven't bothered to read as they don't appear to be on anything interesting or important.

I did read the story this morning about the falling out between Hall and Oates because I wondered who Hall and Oates were and why it would matter that two individuals had a disagreement about something. Now if I get a quiz question about Hall and Oates I may know the answer (Hall and Oates used to be Hall & Oates).

Comment

Hall and Oates used to be Hall & Oates

Simon and Garfunkel started out as Tom and Jerry.
                            (Just in case anybody asks)

Comment

Working...
                            X