Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank Auerbach feature: 7.15pm Radio, 4 27 Jan

Expressionist portrait and landscape painter from a British generation that included Francis Bacon, reclusive Auerbach continues to paint in relative obscurity. Perhaps a new documentary is called for!

This Cultural Life: 5/7

John Wilson talks to 92-year-old British-German painter Frank Auerbach about his formative experiences and influences.

Artist Frank Auerbach talks about his life and some of the influences on his work.

Repeated Monday 29th, 2.15pm.

....thanks for highlighting this...
    bong ching

Comment

Thanks for posting this. Frank Auerbach looks to be the sort of artist who interests me.

Having a poor memory for names, I confuse him with Erich Auerbach the photographer, famous for his photos of musicians, (e.g. the famous pictures of Britten and Rostropovich rehearsing Britten's Cello Sonata). I can't discover if they were related. And now I find there were two (ad maybe more ) Erich Auerbachs, just as there are two John Wilsons on Radio3. It's all getting confusing .

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Expressionist portrait and landscape painter from a British generation that included Francis Bacon, reclusive Auerbach continues to paint in relative obscurity. Perhaps a new documentary is called for!

This Cultural Life: 5/7

John Wilson talks to 92-year-old British-German painter Frank Auerbach about his formative experiences and influences.

Artist Frank Auerbach talks about his life and some of the influences on his work.

Repeated Monday 29th, 2.15pm.
        Just bumping this up now that this excellent programme is on as a repeat.

Comment

From the same series, I listened to John Wilson interviewing Juliet Binoche about her cultural life and it was a great show.
          Actor Juliette Binoche reveals the formative influences that shaped her career.

Comment

Just bumping this up now that this excellent programme is on as a repeat.
            Fascinating stuff, particularly the inspiration he derived from a black and white reproduction of Turner's The Fighting Temeraire which he saw in Arthur Mee's Childrens' Encyclopaedia. We had Arthur Mee's Childrens' Encyclopaedia but what I gained from that was how to make a whistle from a sycamore twig (it didn't actually whistle though ). But then, if I remember, Auerbach said that he had no interest in music - so to each his own.

Addiitionally, a very informative Wiki article on Bunce Court where Auerbach was educated.
            Last edited by french frank; 06-02-24, 18:17.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Fascinating stuff, particularly the inspiration he derived from a black and white reproduction of Turner's The Fighting Temeraire which he saw in Arthur Mee's Childrens' Encyclopaedia. We had Arthur Mee's Childrens' Encyclopaedia but what I gained from that was how to make a whistle from a sycamore twig (it didn't actually whistle though ). But then, if I remember, Auerbach said that he had no interest in music - so to each his own.

Addiitionally, a very informative Wiki article on Bunce Court where Auerbach was educated.
              What a remarkable place - I would have thrived there, rather than the quasi-fascist boarding school I was made to attend - and how sad that the founder was unable to keep it going after the war.

Comment

We only really got to know Auerbach''s work at the memorable Tate show a few years ago and the John Wilson interview offered valuable insights into his life and art.

We recently encountered for the first time another exile to this country from Nazism, the Austrian potter, Lucy Rie. A beautiful exhibition at the Holburne Museum in Bath. Guardian review

Comment

....audio-wise........i couldn't understand hardly a word here and there....
                  bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    ....audio-wise........i couldn't understand hardly a word here and there....
                    I thought it was just my hearing impediments!

Comment

I thought it was just my hearing impediments!
                      I sort of got used to it eventually.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                      X