Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And there's Wassisname - who told the cricketing world that "the bowler is Holding, the batsman's Willey"

Comment

This thread looks fun, and contains Arlott’s classic description of New Zealand bowler Bob Cunis…..

...Well I declare, I'm a bit slow off the mark. Guess I'll have to duck in here a little more regularly, so I don't have to miss out on all these extras...It's onto the front foot for me then... Working it beautifully Hev! No back foot play from you. Only when it was over did I realise ...

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Football in Scotland in the sixties and seventies would not have been the same without the great Arthur Montford and his sports jacket. Catch phrases: 'Up go the heads' when a high ball was launched into the penalty box, and 'It's a stramash!' He always seemed like such a lovely man.

I recall the first time I ever went to a rugby match; it was between the touring Australian team and a Glasgow select. Having been used to watching rugby on TV, I soon realised had no idea what was going on in the game. Then I recalled that the game was being televised, so I headed towards the commentary box and listened through the window to Bill McLaren who seemed to give me the impression that I suddenly knew everything that was going on.
        I think Steve Cram's pretty good on the athletics.
        One of my all time favourites was Harry Carpenter - he knew his sport inside out and he always seemed to get on well with the boxers of the day - Ali, Cooper, Bruno spring to mind.
        On the horse racing front I used to like Michael O'Hare - he was the guy who was commentating at the Foinavon fence when horse after horse failed to get over the fence, leaving Foinavon to race on alone to win the National. His commentary was memorable - sometimes it's just being in the right place at the right time, I suppose.
        There was a really posh guy who used to do the Showjumping - I used to like listening to him, especially if he had to interview Harvey Smith.
        Whispering Ted Lowe did a fine job on the Snooks. I realise writing this that I watched too much sport down the years, because I haven't even started on the cycling and there are some fine commentators among them. Phil Liggett springs to mind - he doesn't do the ITV commentary anymore, but he injected so much knowledge and excitement and interest into a sport he clearly loves.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          Football in Scotland in the sixties and seventies would not have been the same without the great Arthur Montford and his sports jacket. Catch phrases: 'Up go the heads' when a high ball was launched into the penalty box, and 'It's a stramash!' He always seemed like such a lovely man.

I recall the first time I ever went to a rugby match; it was between the touring Australian team and a Glasgow select. Having been used to watching rugby on TV, I soon realised had no idea what was going on in the game. Then I recalled that the game was being televised, so I headed towards the commentary box and listened through the window to Bill McLaren who seemed to give me the impression that I suddenly knew everything that was going on.
          I think Steve Cram's pretty good on the athletics.
          One of my all time favourites was Harry Carpenter - he knew his sport inside out and he always seemed to get on well with the boxers of the day - Ali, Cooper, Bruno spring to mind.
          On the horse racing front I used to like Michael O'Hare - he was the guy who was commentating at the Foinavon fence when horse after horse failed to get over the fence, leaving Foinavon to race on alone to win the National. His commentary was memorable - sometimes it's just being in the right place at the right time, I suppose.
          There was a really posh guy who used to do the Showjumping - I used to like listening to him, especially if he had to interview Harvey Smith.
          Whispering Ted Lowe did a fine job on the Snooks. I realise writing this that I watched too much sport down the years, because I haven't even started on the cycling and there are some fine commentators among them. Phil Liggett springs to mind - he doesn't do the ITV commentary anymore, but he injected so much knowledge and excitement and interest into a sport he clearly loves.
          Some great names there. Talking of Ted Lowe he was once doing his famous whispered commentary while John Spencer was clearing the table. Knowing the game so well he started predicting Johns next shot .”John will now put a bit of side on the cue ball and kiss the Red into the top pocket coming back for the the brown .” Which is exactly what John did . This went on for several shots .- but a bit too loudly . At one point Spencer put his cue down and said “for God’s sake Ted let me play my own game.”

The show jumping commentators must have been Dorian Williams and or Raymond Brooks- Ward. Both were equally posh.

Agree re Harry - another great name I missed , Wish I’d been watching when Frank Bough on Grandstand introduced him with the words “Harry Commentator is your Carpenter,”

Comment

Originally posted by cria View Post
            And there's Wassisname - who told the cricketing world that "the bowler is Holding, the batsman's Willey"
            Johnners - who else! Oh, and let's not forget 'Blowers'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Agree re Harry - another great name I missed , Wish I’d been watching when Frank Bough on Grandstand introduced him with the words “Harry Commentator is your Carpenter,”
              I recall Harry commentating on the Ali Foreman 'Rumble in the Jungle'. Despite attempts at impartiality, Carpenter could not disguise his feelings in round 8.

'Suddenly Ali looks very tired indeed, in fact Ali, at times now, looks as though he can barely lift his arms up... Oh he's got him with a right hand! He's got him! Oh you can't believe it. And I don't think Foreman's going to get up. He's trying to beat the count. And he's out! OH MY GOD he's won the title back at 32! Muhammad Ali!'
              I can hear it like it was yesterday.

By the way, re David Coleman, I read recently that he did not say about Alberto Juantarino in the home straight during the '76 Olympics, 'And the big Cuban opens his legs and shows his class!' Unreliable memory indeed, but according to the Guardian he did indeed say it.
              A great piece of sports commentary must contain several elements. It has to be dramatic, passionate, funny where possible, but above all memorable. Here are the OSM top 10.

Comment

And Eddie Waring "E’s teyking an early buth .." (player sent off)

And Gerry Williams & Des L's tennis double act. I always thought they were hoping the girls would flash their knickers.

Comment

Originally posted by cria View Post
                  And Eddie Waring "E’s teyking an early buth .." (player sent off)
                  'Oop and under'

The King of Dewsbury, Eddie did 'It's a Knockout' as well, I seem to recall.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Johnners - who else! Oh, and let's not forget 'Blowers'.
                    I remember a lovey Johnners comment at Trent Bridge. ‘I saw Brian Bolus in the tea interval - Sporting a moustache these days - looks a little like a dead mouse’.

Comment

and Coleman talking about the 'Ethionopes'

Comment

Working...
                      X