Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London Spy, Pt1/5, BBC2, 21.00-22.00hrs each Monday

A promising start for Tom Rob Smith's gripping tale of love, lies, duplicity and unseen menace. Director, Jakob Verbruggen has a firm hand on the narrative and splendid locations at Vauxhall and has, mercifully, no need for a tinkly score to irritate and distract the viewer. The opener dominated by assured performances from Ben Whishaw - is't now more than a decade since I saw his first stage appearance as Hamlet, Old Vic - where he was a youth dominated by the Elsinore establishment? - and Edward Holcroft as a gay pick-up, together with Jim Broadbent as his sympathetic mentor. A slow-burn opener likely to resonate in the next four weeks of compulsive viewing. I've booked my seat for the season!

Wonderful stuff. I too was favourably impressed by the welcome absence of intrusive music. The change of atmosphere with the gruesome discovery in the attic was immensely powerful. Definitely one to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
      Wonderful stuff.
      - I'm hooked already; intriguing plot, excellent script, fantastic performances (understated, but full of implications [won't say how as they might be spoilers for anyone who asn't watched it yet]), wonderfully filmed - and, yes, superb use of Music
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Spotted it in advance and thought it looked up my street, so it's duly sitting on the hard drive. Looking forward to a classy hour's viewing (thank you ferney for being restrained with yer implications )
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Magnificent. Whishaw utterly compelling. Some wonderful cinematography and unforgettable images (the faint trail of cigarette smoke from the slightly-open window of the van parked outside the flat; the two-bar electric fire and trunk...).

Talk about unmissable!

(Apt and slightly cheeky casting of Whishaw - with the MI6 building looming in many shots, it felt at the outset as if we were seeing "The Secret Life of Q"... for anyone who's seen Skyfall and/or Spectre)
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Thanks for the tip-offs, friends. I shall get onto watching this!

Comment

Yes it was gripping stuff and Jim Broadbent too excellent cast against type . I don't think I have ever seen Ben Whishaw be anything other than excellent and completely convincing.

Comment

Brilliant first episode - made all the more compelling for me knowing these locations from often cycling past them. Looks like my next 3 Monday nights are now all booked!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Brilliant first episode - made all the more compelling for me knowing these locations from often cycling past them. Looks like my next 3 Monday nights are now all booked!
                  Unless you book the next four, you'll miss the last episode, S_A!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Unless you book the next four, you'll miss the last episode, S_A!
                    Five in all then, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Five in all then, eh?

Comment

What everyone else has said.

Simply superb.
                        Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                          What everyone else has said.

Simply superb.

Agreed

Comment

Brilliant first episode
                            Sorry to go against the flow, folks, but I watched the first half-hour of episode 1 (largely because of this thread) and absolutely nothing happened..... in the thriller department, that is. Should I persevere?

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                              Sorry to go against the flow, folks, but I watched the first half-hour of episode 1 (largely because of this thread) and absolutely nothing happened..... in the thriller department, that is. Should I persevere?
                              Yes it is deliberately a slow burner - you were just coming to the scary bits !

Comment

Working...
                              X