Imagine...David Chipperfield: A Place to be?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine...David Chipperfield: A Place to be?

This series on BBC 1, following the 22.00 BBC News, has always delivered fresh and stimulating documentaries worth transfer to DVD and a place on the shelves. Last night's (1 Dec) Imagine...David Chipperfield: A Place to Be? fully justified its 67mins as it concentrated on the work of the British architect on several attractive locations and required full attention - an engaging, low key personality, but a precise communicator who clearly understood the relationship between light, materials and space, applied to his work at Berlin's Neues Museum and, indeed, a new project, opposite, in what is now designated Museum Island. In turn, he is also embarking on his most prestigious project yet, a new gallery for the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY. His eye for shape and even choice of the right materials - and why! And the weighing-up of potential in discussion with director, Wim Wenders in Berlin. Indeed, understanding the fascinating minutiae compelled me to watch the programme again, this afternoon, and it still fostered a new way of seeing. Also much attracted by one of his homes in a Spanish coastal village - a tiny space earmarked for conversion to a garage - but converted into a most desirable residence by the architect which he now shares with his wife, Evelyn.

Strongly recommended.

I, too, thoroughly enjoyed this programme. Architects and their thought processes can be hard for a layman to decypher, but David Chipperfield appeared refreshingly direct, with his humane approach to urban spaces, not primarily concerned with the image of his buildings but how they make us feel. There were no computers in his office, just physical models of buildings and cityscapes. In Britain a compromise solution would be hammered out after a second meeting, whereas in Germany the right outcome might emerge after proper consultaion over twenty meetings. "The difference between good and bad architecture is the time you spend on it. We see buildings in Britain mostly as freestanding objects. They are not meant to have a dialogue with anything around them, or with history, or with ideas of any kind beyond the self-referential. What we call 'regeneration' is largely an excuse for building for maximum profit with a bit of sculptural design thrown in to catch the eye of the media." It is our loss that he is so esteemed in Berlin and New York, while unlikely to become a national treasure in his homeland.

Comment

Didn't see the programme but
      Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
      We see buildings in Britain mostly as freestanding objects. They are not meant to have a dialogue with anything around them, or with history, or with ideas of any kind beyond the self-referential
      reminded me that my heart frequently sinks when I hear an architectural spokesperson say that 'special attention' has been paid to making the new build(ing) blend in with the surrounding buildings, only to find that this means some tasteful, modernistic glass and concrete with huge windows as infill between Portland stone Georgian buildings. Nothing remotely similar in terms of materials or style.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Nothing remotely similar in terms of materials or style.
        Save us all from Poundbury

A "last ditch" attempt to save what could still be a wonderful building

Brutalist building could be turned into an art gallery, hotel - or even a museum of Midlands heavy metal, campaigners say

Comment

Maybe. But can anyone honestly say they prefer the environs of St Paul's Cathedral the way they used to be?

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
            Maybe. But can anyone honestly say they prefer the environs of St Paul's Cathedral the way they used to be?
            Nice to see the entries for "Non sequitur of the day" are coming in early.

Is that before the fire or after?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              A "last ditch" attempt to save what could still be a wonderful building

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...l-Library.html
              As a matter of curiosity: what is a 'heavy metal museum'?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

As a matter of curiosity: what is a 'heavy metal museum'?
                I guess it's a museum devoted to heavy metal
                Like many of Feldman's titles (Three clarinets, cello & piano) it does what it says on the tin.

I don't think they did much lead mining in Birmingham

Comment

I guess it's a museum devoted to heavy metal [...] I don't think they did much lead mining in Birmingham
                  Not in Birmingham itself, though the Midlands did have ironworks. So it's that?

Comment

Not in Birmingham itself, though the Midlands did have ironworks. So it's that?
                    I think they mean this

Sing along now

Comment

Nice to see the entries for "Non sequitur of the day" are coming in early.
                      Not really. Why not look for the connexion instead of jumping to the conclusion that there isn't one?

Is that before the fire or after?
                      Not before the Great Fire of London, no. And not before the fires of the Blitz either, because I was thinking of the brutalist postwar buildings which were there when I first knew the area, and which were torn down in their turn.

I am not sure if anyone ever argued for them on the grounds of architectural merit; but I do remember that the buildings that replaced them were criticised at the time for being timid, anodyne and obsequious. They're not eactly Poundbury, but they're human in scale, don't try to fight the Cathedral and are (for me) pleasant to be among.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        Not really. Why not look for the connexion instead of jumping to the conclusion that there isn't one?
                        Tenuous at best Jean

Interesting to see that his office is above where the Philharmonia office used to be until recently, with the falling tiles and scabby lifts.

Comment

Well, Alan Yentob has quit the BBC:

Alan Yentob resigns as the BBC's creative director in the wake of controversy over his role as chairman of the Kids Company charity.

Oh....have just noticed this is already on Platform 3 but will "Imagine......" continue?

Comment

The series of Imagine...will continue as will his participation. Good news - see para 3 in the heads-up you provided, L-L!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                              The series of Imagine...will continue as will his participation. Good news - see para 3 in the heads-up you provided, L-L!

This is obviously not a news story I have quite grasped yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X