Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 Festive Season TV choice

Filling-in my diary notes. Top of the bill for me is the BBC 4, Gypsy: Live from the Savoy Theatre, i.e. the performance was 'live' when recorded! Jonathan Kent's award-winning production of Stephen Sondheim and Julie Styne's musical based on the career of Gypsy Rose Lee; rave reviews for Imelda Staunton's performance as Gypsy's mother, Rose. It needs a star performer and I still recall the frisson on hearing an LP import of Ethel Merman's high voltage Broadway performance in 1959. We had to wait until 1973 when Angela Lansbury tackled Rose at the Piccadilly Theatre, succeeded by Dolores Gray; Sheila Hancock also 'hit the heights' as Rose at the West Yorkshire Playhouse in 1994 but declined a West End transfer which required two matinees a week. And my recorder will be set for BBC 4, 21,00-23.20hrs, Sunday, 27 Dec -phone off the hook!

An Alfred Hitchcock season, albeit off-peak, is also scheduled although I now have DVD copies on the shelves. However, I'll record Shadow of a Doubt, (1942) - my preference as his 'best' film - BBC 2, 00.30- 02.15hrs, Ist Jan '16 - hoping for a remastered print, as was Saboteur (1942) on BBC2 recently.
    Vertigo (1956) is also scheduled for BBC 4, 22.00-00.05hrs, 30 Dec. Stll makes me shudder.

The New Year's Day Vienna concert, conducted by Mariss Jansons can be seen on BBC 2, 11.00hrs, repeated on BBC 4, 19.00hrs.

The Sinatra centenary will have a two-part tribute, All or Nothing at All, BBC 4; Pt 1, 21.00-22.55hrs, 31 Dec; Pt 2,
    22.00-midnight, 1st Jan

A further two-part tribute, starting with, The Joy of Rachmaninov, will be presented by Tom Service, BBC 4, 21.00-22.00hrs,1st Jan, a celebration of the composer with contributions from Denis Matsuev, Vladimir Ashkenazy, Steven Isserlis, Stephen Hough, Vladimir Jurowski and James Rhodes.

The second programme, on BBC 2 (please note), - is a 90 mins documentary, Leningrad and the Orchestra that Defied Stalin, BBC2, 21,00hrs, 2 Jan. Tom Service with Amanda Vickery returns to Russia to recount how the siege of a city gave rise toDSCH's 7th symphony - a tale of the horror of war, appalling deprivation, and the redemptive power of human creativity. Vickery focuses on the historical scene-setting and the starvation in Leningrad, blockaded by the German army for 872 days. A sobering but compelling start for a New Year.

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
    A further two-part tribute, starting with, The Joy of Rachmaninov, will be presented by Tom Service, BBC 4, 21.00-22.00hrs,1st Jan, a celebration of the composer with contributions from Denis Matsuev, Vladimir Ashkenazy, Steven Isserlis, Stephen Hough, Vladimir Jurowski and James Rhodes.

The second programme, on BBC 2 (please note), - is a 90 mins documentary, Leningrad and the Orchestra that Defied Stalin, BBC2, 21,00hrs, 2 Jan. Tom Service with Amanda Vickery returns to Russia to recount how the siege of a city gave rise toDSCH's 7th symphony - a tale of the horror of war, appalling deprivation, and the redemptive power of human creativity. Vickery focuses on the historical scene-setting and the starvation in Leningrad, blockaded by the German army for 872 days. A sobering but compelling start for a New Year.
    It's a shame about the surfeit of Service.

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
      So I take it you'll be receiving Service without a smile?

Comment

Tom Service has also contributed an article in the Jan issue of BBC Music Magazine. However, the TV Listings, page 105, also add, "...The documentary also features a recent performance of the symphony conducted by Shostakovitch's son, Maxim. Good news, although I'm concerned that the 90 mins schedule for the programme does not mean a shreds and patches approach with interjections between movements to guide us on our way. "Angels and ministers of grace defend us!..."

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
          Any Service is a surfeit of Service...
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Any Service is a surfeit of Service...
            I'm sure Alina Ibraginova would disagree!

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              I'm sure Alina Ibraginova would disagree!
              One hopes so....
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

A small mention of tonight's 'The Detectorists' Christmas episode on Beeb4, which wasn't Chrismassy but was terrific - the curse of the gold. Toby Jones wonderful.

Comment

Omnibus edition of Albion Market - Boxing Day?

Comment

Working...
                  X