"A Gert Lush Christmas" - BBC2 - Terrible!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A Gert Lush Christmas" - BBC2 - Terrible!

Did anyone see this, after transferring over from watching Caliban's much-recommended "Dickensian"?

It was about a London-based, Bristol areal-born young whippersnapper, who elects to take his Sloany girldfriend home to meet his dreadful family and their equally dreadful friends back 'ome-like? As someone once familiar with Bristol I was devastated to see Bristolian upwardly-mobile working class culture treated as synonymous with TOWIE and equally chav-infected. The young man turns out to be an utter wimp when his girlfriend is subjected to all manner of humiliations and when, having had his drink spiked he snogs with a former girldfriend just there to thicken an already thick plot, storms out of the family get-together, and acts like a cry baby in mum's arms until she urges him to make things up. He then hares back to his swanky London pad to find her missing, drives all the way back to spend time with a neighbour we've had the luck to have been introduced to earlier - but, lo and behold, his mum had somehow got there first and driven said girlfriend back to the house party, so that, when he re-enters the fold, there she is, the one surprise surprise he'd least expected and all-forgiving of his errant episode with the ex.

Maybe my non-apreciation of this one-off is a sign of age and an associated inability to identify with the interests and goings-on of youth, but I might have expected something funnier to emerge from Bristol, a city with views as to its identity and capacity for adding spoken l's on words ending in a or o that can be as quirky as Scousers', especially given the strong cast and writer Russell Howard's lead role.

I deliberately missed it - having seen the trailers and I am not a fan of Russell Howard.
    Looks like I made the right decision! (I should mention that I have strong Bristolian connections through paternal grandparents, why you think something funny should emerge from Bristol I have no idea!)

No, seriously, most Christmas Specials/One Offs absolutely fail. Even The Detectorists fell flat I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post

No, seriously, most Christmas Specials/One Offs absolutely fail. Even The Detectorists fell flat I thought.
      Maybe aided by a couple of beers, Anna, but I thought 'the Detectorists' episode terrific. Wasn't attracted by the thought of Lush.

Comment

Working...
      X