No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"And Then There Were None" - and other Agatha Christie adaptations

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    I didn't find this good at all. Perhaps it was the general mishmash approach.
    Isn't he a character in And Then There Were None?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    No that was General Pile-O'Crap. Now that I've given up on, really terrible overblown boring stuff.
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 28-12-15, 17:21.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      The problem with the new Agatha Christie adaptation is that the villain is always the villain in these dramas.

Incidentally, I have a very old copy of this book, and would not be permitted to divulge its title, never mind the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        The problem with the new Agatha Christie adaptation is that the villain is always the villain in these dramas.

Incidentally, I have a very old copy of this book, and would not be permitted to divulge its title, never mind the plot.
        ... I don't see why you wd not be permitted to divulge its title : has anyone sought to change the title of Conrad's 'The Nigger of the "Narcissus" ' ?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... I don't see why you wd not be permitted to divulge its title...
          This is its original dust jacket. It is a bit shocking, don't you think?

Comment

It's had other titles:

The little Indians
            Ten little Soldiers

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
              This is its original dust jacket. It is a bit shocking, don't you think?
              ... o, worse than 'a bit shocking' - it is nowadays distinctly uncomfortable / unpalatable. Even when we are aware of the version of the children's song from which it derives -

My point was rather that we shouldn't be shrinkingly coy from referring to it. One could be silent, or one could refer to it coolly and explicitly : I don't see that one should furtively say that 'there is a book which I shall not name', which by itself draws attention to what is not being named.

Comment

That, Mitchell, and, Webb, Look, the, evil, voice, sarah, hadland, david, robert, killed, him, her, who, smoke, tits, boobs, get, bigger, kiss, kissing, smoking
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Really? I have no idea whodunnit in this one, they all seem vile - I care only to the extent that I shall fastforward to the end of the third episode to see!

I think the problem is the style. When done 'properly', an Agatha Christie can be pleasurable indeed (especially if you're like me and - as with sports events - for some reason seem to be incapable of remembering the 'result' for more than about a week!!)

Those old Joan Hickson dramatisations continue to be rewarding watching (even I can now recall the outcome of some of those!); whereas I found most of the David Suchet adaptations of Poirot stories to be artificial and mannered (plus Suchet's 'Belgian' accent bore no relation to any accent a Francophone of any kind inc. Belgian would ever have had when speaking English). And as for Albert Finney Peter Ustinov, maybe... However, recently, on Radio 4Extra, I've discovered what I think are the best Poirot dramatisations, with John Moffat playing Hercule - a most credible and involving characterisation, the only one to sound 'right' with no mugging, Clouseau-esque caricature...

Comment

I'm watching this because it's quite stylish, and has an excellent cast.

But I can't imagine why the book was so popular.

(I've never read it so I've no idea whodunnit, but the dénouement will have to be pretty amazing to reverse that opinion.)

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Those old Joan Hickson dramatisations continue to be rewarding watching (even I can now recall the outcome of some of those!);
                      I prefer those to the more recent ITV ones, which take great liberties with the plots at times, including borrowing Tommy and Tuppence Beresford for one episode.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        I'm watching this because it's quite stylish, and has an excellent cast.

But I can't imagine why the book was so popular.
                        So far, I've found the adaptation to be rather dull, whereas the book really gripped me. But things might wake up a little in the final episode.

Comment

I prefer those to the more recent ITV ones, which take great liberties with the plots at times, including borrowing Tommy and Tuppence Beresford for one episode.

Agreed - and the recent ones are marred by unsubtle direction and hammy acting by 'familiar faces' - the plague of the 'all star cast' from which I think the current one suffers too. Sam Neill and Charles Dance are among my favourite actors, but....

Comment

the altered title rather gives away the denouement. I doubt whether there was all the effing and blinding in the book [not having read it]. It mildly amused me that having just watched the Dickens thing I was now watching Tulkinghorn, Guppy, Pip and Poldark, if you see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              the altered title rather gives away the denouement. I doubt whether there was all the effing and blinding in the book [not having read it]. It mildly amused me that having just watched the Dickens thing I was now watching Tulkinghorn, Guppy, Pip and Poldark, if you see what I mean.
                              Pip turned out not have especially Great Expectations this time, did he?

Still think Peter Vaughan was an even better Tulkinghorn than Dance, in the older adaptation...

Comment

Working...
                              X