Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stradella strides the stage on Radio 4

Tomorrow (Sat 9th Jan) the afternoon play is about "the scandalous, chaotic and violent real-life antics of 17th century Italian composer Alessandro Stradella".

Witty drama about the real-life antics of 17th-century composer Alessandro Stradella.

Hope it comes up to expectation!

No idea how historically accurate it was - I'm pretty sure Stradella wasn't Welsh, but it seems like a reasonable metaphor for the perennial outsider.

But why did the nuns (or whoever it was) sing the Easter sequence Victimae Paschali laudes over and over again, and little else?

Comment

It may be too much to ask a radio drama to create a sense of time in which the drama is set but without it (to me) the play did not feel quite affective (not sure if this is the right word).

Comment

It took me a while to get used to a Welsh Stradella too! And my expectations of "the scandalous, chaotic and violent real-life antics" were not quite fulfilled. Not in the same league as Caravaggio, I fancy. It would be interesting to know to what extent FC-B based his play on historical events. Full marks to him for having the idea though.

Comment

Working...
        X