No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    So what's wrong with this thread?
    Dunno, bit long and wordy? I am reading, unusually for me, some pulp fiction. Ian Rankin detective stories. I know I should say I am reading something instructive like Cosima Wagner's diarires or the unread biography of Bruce Chatwin in my bookcase .... But, I am not.

Comment

Never spotted it, EA! No implied criticism!
      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
        Never spotted it, EA! No implied criticism!
        Actually, I did think there was a case for having books about music or musicians on Talking About Music. But it diverted on to other topics
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Singapore Burning by Colin Smith.

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            ... bit long and wordy?...
            Is that the books or the posts or both, Anna?

As the father/mother of this thread, I enjoy its diversity. Would not really like to lose books on music, but can see a case for a separate thread for them.

Comment

Wagner & Philosophy By Bryan Magee, really interesting

Comment

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                Is that the books or the posts or both, Anna?

As the father/mother of this thread, I enjoy its diversity. Would not really like to lose books on music, but can see a case for a separate thread for them.
                I agree verismissimo - keep it all together

Comment

Rolling back the decades I'm revisiting The Conscience of the Rich, by CP Snow. I never saw Strangers and Brothers on TV but I seem to remember it lost out to ITV's what? Something about the Raj by the man who wrote Staying On?
                  Last edited by french frank; 24-01-13, 22:26. Reason: Inserted an 'a' in the interests of good spelling
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Britten's Children - John Bridcut.

Bought it four years ago and it has remained on the shelf.

The 'other' Britten thread made me pick it up.

P.S. I haven't seen the TV version.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahler's3rd View Post
                      Wagner & Philosophy By Bryan Magee, really interesting
                      Great book. I followed it up with Magee's The Philosophy of Schopenhauer, essential reading for Wagnerians.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Rolling back the decades I'm revisiting The Conscience of the Rich, by CP Snow. I never saw Strangers and Brothers on TV but I seem to remember it lost out to ITV's what? Something about the Raj by the man who wrote Staying On?
                        Paul Scott is the name you're looking for.

I've never read anything by CP Snow. He has acquired a reputation for dullness...is it justified?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                          Paul Scott is the name you're looking for.

I've never read anything by CP Snow. He has acquired a reputation for dullness...is it justified?
                          I'd recommend his solitary mystery story, Death Under Sail

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            I'd recommend his solitary mystery story, Death Under Sail
                            Cheers, will check it out.

For reasons unknown to myself, I listened to his DID last year. Interesting man, who seemed to come off worst in his little tiff with FR Leavis: personally, I think Snow had the better argument.

Comment

I read a novel by CP Snow once, a long time ago and all I can say is that firstly I cant remember a word of it, or even the title, and secondly, I never read another one. So for me at least, he was dull.

Back to Proust: I have just started on the new translation. Proust does require a large committment of one's time. I read the original Scott Moncrieff translation, which was a heroic undertaking but apparently left the rude bits out. Then I read the Kilmartin revision, which put the rude bits back in. Now here we go again. If there is ever another translation I'll have to give it a miss, I havent got enough time left.

Comment

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                                I read a novel by CP Snow once, a long time ago and all I can say is that firstly I cant remember a word of it, or even the title, and secondly, I never read another one. So for me at least, he was dull.

Back to Proust: I have just started on the new translation. Proust does require a large committment of one's time. I read the original Scott Moncrieff translation, which was a heroic undertaking but apparently left the rude bits out. Then I read the Kilmartin revision, which put the rude bits back in. Now here we go again. If there is ever another translation I'll have to give it a miss, I havent got enough time left.
                                Are you reading the new Penguin translation (by several hands, which I believe is still ongoing...?)?

I don't think S-M can be blamed for the 'bowdlerisation' of his version, as he - I understand - was working from an unreliable edition of the source. Kilmartin, in his revision, worked from a corrected text.
                                Last edited by Guest; 25-01-13, 12:57.

Comment

Working...
                                X