Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henry James, 'The Ambassadors', last read forty years ago. I'm reading it for an online [social media but NOT X] reading group to which I belong.

Comment

I think I prefer The Ambassadors even to The Wings of the Dove and certainly to The Golden Bowl, but it doesn't have ahigh critical reputation.

I'm reading Downhill all the way by Leonard Woolf, for the Umpteenth time. Oneof the most readable writers; I'd love to have met him.

Comment

I agree on L Woolf. Read many years ago but still fondly remembered. And on 'The Ambassadors.' We are reading it at a book every two days, much how we navigated 'The Man Without Qualities', 50 pages a day more or less. It doesn't take long to warm to Strether.

Comment

Currently enjoying 'Adrian Mole And The Weapons Of Mass Destruction'. Next up is 'The Battle Of The River Plate - A Grand Delusion' by Richard Woodman.

Comment

I've just begun The Waves for,, I think, the fourth time, and am , as always with Virginia Woolf, enjoying it more than before.

Comment

Having been disappointed with The Left Handed Booksellers of London a few weeks ago, I returned to a more familiar author for the next read; Tom Holt and "The Eight Reindeer of the Apocalypse", much better! Now on the 8th Rivers of London book, "Lies Sleeping" by Ben Aaronovitch.

Once I get back home from holiday, I'll resume working on my 3rd novel. Book 2 will be published on 14Jun2024 🙂. Publicity will be in place before then too!!
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                I'm wading through Malcolm Gladwell's Blink. Not as good as Outliers, which I loved.
                The Shining by Stephen King

Comment

The Hate You Give, a coming of age book whose narrator is an adolescent black girl who is driving with a childhood drug dealing friend and watches him being killed by a policeman during a routine traffic stop. The story rises above trope-ism because the narrator lives in a gang infested ghetto but commutes to a largely white private school and has a white boyfriend who lives in a house with black servants. She feels as if she fully doesn’t belong to either milieu.

Comment

Man in the Dark, Paul Auster.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      Man in the Dark, Paul Auster.
                      The New York Trilogy, Paul Auster.
                      £3.99 in Oxfam last week!

Comment

I have just started Enlightenment by Sarah Perry. I never read anything new so this is a punt for me. And it’s great.

Comment

Working...
                        X