Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking Pictures TV

I discovered this TV channel a few weeks ago, didn't think to post here at the time. Sky Channel 343 Talking Pictures, also on Freeview 81. Showing mainly pre-1960 British and some American films. Some films from BFI.

As an example, last Monday was a music hall all-day presentation. This was the playlist (I recorded and watched 5 of the films)

Talking Pictures TV. Monday 18th January. Full Line up for the Music Hall Day.

06:00 Old Mother Riley Headmistress 1950. Comedy. Mother Riley rises from the soapsuds to scholastics when a distant relative dies, leaving her the laundry in a seminary for young ladies. Starring Arthur Lucan & Kitty McShane.

07:30 Cotton Queen 1937. Comedy directed by Bernard Vorhaus and starring Stanley Holloway and Jimmy Hanley. Rival cotton mill owners must work together to win a contract when love blossoms between the rival’s siblings.

09:05 Tell Me Another Anecdotes From Music Hall & Variety greats such as; Arthur Askey, Roy Hudd, Roy Castle, Dickie Henderson, Tommy Trinder, Charlie Drake, Norman Wisdom, Billy Dainty, Max Wall, Reg Varney & Clive Dunn

09:35 Stars on Parade 1936. Musical. This 1936 Musical film shows a rare chance to see some of the greatest acts from the Music Hall Years. Starring Sam Barton, Mabel Constanduros, Horace Goldin and many more.

10:50 Cavalcade of Variety 1941. Musical directed by Thomas Bentley. Featuring Peter Brough, Billy Cotton and his band, the Sherman Fisher girls and many more.

12:05 Tell Me Another Anecdotes From Music Hall & Variety greats such as; Arthur Askey, Roy Hudd, Roy Castle, Dickie Henderson, Tommy Trinder, Charlie Drake, Norman Wisdom, Billy Dainty, Max Wall, Reg Varney & Clive Dunn

12:35 Say It With Flowers 1934. Drama musical. Directed by John Baxter. Two well-loved market flower sellers (Mary Clare and Ben Field) fall on hard times. The locals put on a benefit show to raise funds for them.

14:00 Empires, Hippodromes & Palaces The golden days of variety with memories of all your favourite stars in one nostalgic show featuring, Des O Connor, Barry Cryer, Michael Crawford, Anita Harris and many more.

14:35 Command Performance 1937. Arthur Tracy (The Street Singer) and Lilli Palmer star in this romantic musical.

16:15 Old Mother Riley 1937. Comedy. Directed by Oswald Mitchell. Starring Arthur Lucan & Kitty McShane. The first of the music hall comedy series. Mother Riley and her daughter stop the plans of some disinherited relatives

17:45 Arthur And Kitty A look into the lives of Arthur Lucan & Kitty McShane and the developement of the great comedy, Old Mother Riley.

18:05 A Little of What You Fancy 1968. A loving tribute to British Music Hall with Lily Morris and Gus Elen. Featuring original archive film, rare prints, portraits and photographs, it traces what remains of the great music halls.

19:10 This Week of Grace 1933. Comedy. Directed by Maurice Elvey. Starring Gracie Fields, Henry Kendall & John Stuart. A poor, unemployed woman is made housekeeper at the estate of a wealthy duchess.

21:00 Old Mother Riley Meets The Vampire 1952. Comedy. A mad scientist known as ‘The Vampire’ (Bela Lugosi) comes to England to further his evil plans. Starring Arthur Lucan and Dora Bryan.

22:25 Tell Me Another Anecdotes From Music Hall & Variety greats such as; Arthur Askey, Roy Hudd, Roy Castle, Dickie Henderson, Tommy Trinder, Charlie Drake, Norman Wisdom, Billy Dainty, Max Wall, Reg Varney & Clive Dunn

22:55 Variety Jubilee 1943. Musical. Kit (Ellis Irving) and Joe Swann (Reginald Purdell) are variety stars. Kits’ son is killed in the First World War but the grandson revives the music hall and joins the RAF musical.

00:45 Soho Conspiracy 1950. Drama. Restaurant owners’ daughter Dora (Zena Marshall) and press agent Guy (John Witty) plan a concert to restore a bombed church, but their plans are thwarted by a lawyer who has other plans.

02:25 Squibs 1935. Comedy. Directed by Henry Edwards and starring Betty Balfour. A cockney flowerseller, Squibs (Balfour) with a father overwhelmed by gambling debts wins through with the help of assorted friends.
    - - -

John W

Will check out.

Many thanks, John

Comment

Best place to find what's showing, and get lots of details and view clips, is their Facebook page at

Talking Pictures TV Sky 328 Freeview 82 Freesat 306 Virgin 445. 55,246 likes · 8,114 talking about this. Talking Pictures TV - An independent archive film and TV channel. Broadcasting 24 hours a...
      - - -

John W

Comment

I've been watching this channel for a while on Freeview --what a golden opportunity missed! The stated aim is to show films from the thirties forties and fifties which have been overlooked by other channels. I can't say I'm surprised as so far the items on offer are abysmally bad. Performers like Arthur Lucan ( Old mother Riley) were already seen as terrible by most people seventy years ago. they were B picture material at best.

The British film industry did produce some excellent films back then which would be really worth revival, after neglect, but very few have turned up so far.To be fair The Browning Version was shown recently, but most of the output is the pits.

Comment

Well yes much of what I've seen of early British film has been disappointing. On that music hall day there were a few memorable moments. I particular wanted to see some of the artistes who recorded with dance bands, good to see them but they mostly performed 'novelty' tunes.
          Also the editing on most of the films is appalling. And the dialogue on some of the romance films is, I think the word has to be excruciating. Hope to find some interesting detective movies )
          - - -

John W

Comment

I can't seem able to get this channel on my freeview.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I can't seem able to get this channel on my freeview.
              Although not broadcast in High Definition, the Talking Pictures channel is broadcast on one of the HD multiplexes, so you can only see it if your TV is capable of showing the Freeview HD channels.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                Although not broadcast in High Definition, the Talking Pictures channel is broadcast on one of the HD multiplexes, so you can only see it if your TV is capable of showing the Freeview HD channels.
                Aha - thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X