• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... the Pléiade and the folio paperbacks both use garamond, the classic font of the maison-mère, Gallimard.

The Pléiade is at 9-point, perhaps the folio has a larger type size.

[And I've learnt something today : I never knew that the French for typeface was police ... ]
    Interesting stuff in those links, v, thank you. And yes, perhaps it was a question of type size, then, between the Pléiade & folio editions.

I found about the word police a few years back while trying to explain to some French my enthusiasm for the new Gill Sans signage at the Mont St. Michel...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

garamond
      Particularly interested to read about a feature that I love in the 1970s Zola Livres de Poche I've recently collected (q.v. 'Retirement' thread) - the ligatures between c & t and between s & t...

And lo and behold, one reads in http://www.garamond.culture.fr/fr/pa...tere_universel :
      Since 1931, books in France's prestigious Pléiade series have been set in Deberny & Peignot's Garamond. It is, incidentally, one of the few collections to systematically use the elegant ligatures of "ct" and "st".

Well, Le Livre de Poche was using it too, until 1980 if not since...

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I think that one of the problems, though - looking randomly at pp 432-433 of Pléiade Tome I - never mind the point size, both pages are printed without a single space on either page to indicate separate paragraphs. They don't actually constitute a single sentence, but you do have to hunt a bit to locate the full stops …
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          I think that one of the problems, though - looking randomly at pp 432-433 of Pléiade Tome I - never mind the point size, both pages are printed without a single space on either page to indicate separate paragraphs. They don't actually constitute a single sentence, but you do have to hunt a bit to locate the full stops …
          That sounds familiar from flicking through the current version.

And that's your nice 60s copy?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            That sounds familiar from flicking through the current version.

And that's your nice 60s copy?
            It is I suppose the same edition as the 1954, but a later printing.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

.... but didn't Proust say that ideally he wd not wish the work to have any divisions at all - not even paragraphs?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

.... but didn't Proust say that ideally he wd not wish the work to have any divisions at all - not even paragraphs?
                Not even paragraphs? Not even sentences, I'd say. Though looking up information on longest sentences, Bohuslav Hrabal has one which is 128 pages long - being the entire novel Taneční hodiny pro starší a pokročilé. So it sounds as if Proust wasn't even trying.

Comment

• Conchis
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2014

Not wanting to veer o/t but has anyone on here read Robert Musil's (unfinished) trilogy The Man Without Qualities? I read somewhere that it makes Proust look like an easy ride, although it's nowhere near as long.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                    Not wanting to veer o/t but has anyone on here read Robert Musil's (unfinished) trilogy The Man Without Qualities? I read somewhere that it makes Proust look like an easy ride, although it's nowhere near as long.
                    I keep meaning to, if that's any help? But I don't have enough German and tend to avoid translations. Which, yes, means I don't often read German language novels

Comment

• Rue Dubac
                      • Mar 2013

I suppose most of you erudite people know that the French have produced A La Recherche in bandes dessinees? Not yet complete as far as I know, but language very close to original, cut rather than paraphrased, and illustrations delightful, very fin-de-siecle. I think it a charming idea, even if not what Proust may have had in mind. The first vol. has now been translated into English and was somewhat snootily reviewed on radio. Lost in translation, perhaps...

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rue Dubac View Post
                        I suppose most of you erudite people know that the French have produced A La Recherche in bandes dessinees? ...

... yes, they're great fun, aren't they?

I read them, appropriately enough, staying with friends just a few miles from Cabourg [Balbec] some summers ago.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

... yes, they're great fun, aren't they?
                          I did not know of this. Just found a nice illustration which I take to be 'thanking M. Swann for his case of wine'

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

(Though, à vrai dire, I think one volume would probably suffice … )

Comment

Working...
                            X