X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tetrachord
    • Apr 2016

Film music: "Inside Daisy Clover"

I just saw a preview for this film on TCM and I had forgotten about this absolutely superb song, written for the film by Andre Previn with lyrics by Dory Previn. It has a terrific, very-difficult-to-sing, melody line which would be challenging for any singer. Natalie Wood makes a pretty good effort here:

This is what ended up in the film; note how the song is orchestrated in the style which had been popular in the earlier golden era of the Freed Unit at MGM:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

A pleasing jolt to Sunday morning! Inside Daisy Clover remains a bit of a mess but always worth watching for what could have been - can't imagine Robert Redford, post Butch Cassidy, accepting a gay role when he entered the superstar league in the late 60s! Around this time, I played in a BBC series, Vendetta, in which Jackie Trent gave a fine rendition of You're gonna hear from me; must now rummage the shelves for a 45rpm recording which followed. I also acquired a video of the film and in recent years did a transfer to DVD to bolster my enthusiasm for a great number.

Comment

• Tetrachord
      • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
      A pleasing jolt to Sunday morning! Inside Daisy Clover remains a bit of a mess but always worth watching for what could have been - can't imagine Robert Redford, post Butch Cassidy, accepting a gay role when he entered the superstar league in the late 60s! Around this time, I played in a BBC series, Vendetta, in which Jackie Trent gave a fine rendition of You're gonna hear from me; must now rummage the shelves for a 45rpm recording which followed. I also acquired a video of the film and in recent years did a transfer to DVD to bolster my enthusiasm for a great number.
      The music is far better than the film!! It did turn out sort of a mixed bag and I'm not sure Natalie Wood was right for the role anyway. Who else could have done it? A younger Audrey Hepburn perhaps?

I love everything Chris Plummer does so that was OK. And I presented a 2 hour lecture 3 years ago on the MGM Freed Unit arranger Conrad Salinger - this is why I recognize the influence on the arrangement of this song from "Inside Daisy Clover". I wanted to write a book on Salinger, actually, but time got away from me and now I'm too old.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Thanks, Tc. I still regularly revisit an off-air DVD on the enterprise of the Arthur Freed Unit and how it was viewed as 'royalty' at MGM. Incidentally, wasn't Natalie Wood's singing dubbed by Marni Nixon, as she was in West Side Story, 1960? Of course, I now have earworm over, You're gonna hear from me, - and wish it had been recorded by Judy Garland.

Comment

Working...
        X