• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Hitchcock double bill: BBC2/10 & 11 Nov

In a week dominated by Americana, a pleasure to set the recorder for two Alfred Hitchcock features on BBC 2, 12 o'clock (mid-day), TODAY, 10 Nov and tomorrow, same time;

10 Nov - Saboteur (1942) Remarkable for its climax sequence on the Statue of Liberty!

11 Nov - Shadow of a Doubt (1942) - Hitch's favourite film. A psychopath arrives in a small town community, setting off a confrontation between good and evil. Compulsive viewing. Each time I see it, I instantly reach for a playback of Knoxville; Summer of 1915 - Dawn Upshaw's classic recording on Elektra Nonesuch.(1989). A treat.
  • Alain Maréchal
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
    10 Nov - Saboteur (1942) Remarkable for its climax sequence on the Statue of Liberty!
    Norman Lloyd, who plays Fry, and became Hitchcock's TV producer, was 102 on Tuesday. He is still working.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... also more Hitchcock today 10 November -

Film4 at 4:35pm -The Man Who Knew Too Much [1955] - James Stewart and Doris Day in Hitchcock's remake of his own 1934 thriller - with the virtuoso crescendo in the Albert Hall....

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

I owned a lovely 16mm print of Hitchcock's '39 Steps' which, having shown once, I sold on. I really regret it now.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

A real pleasure viewing the remastered print of Saboteur, today, and memories like silence came rushing in! First saw the film as an adolescent in 1942 and even had a schoolroom joke of suspending my arm in the air at moments of despair with a cry of "sleeve, sleeve" which always got a laugh.

Of course, the time was ripe for propaganda as America had only entered WW2, a few months earlier. Fascinated to note the opening credits with three writers credited in the adaptation of the original screenplay; Peter Viertel, Joan Harrison AND Dorothy Parker. Hitch set a cracking pace and masterly in sustaining the built-up pressure in the action. Clever clogs, too, in developing his party pieces; the protagonists trapped at large social gatherings, viz, Saboteur-Notorious, 1946), The Man
          Who Knew Too Much, (1956) - North by North West (1959). or dangerously suspended; Saboteur-or Mt Rushmore- North by North West. Even in Foreign Correspondent, 1940, he wittily used an outdoor sequence in Amsterdam, leaving Joel McRae confused seeking a gunman in a crowd with
          raised umbrellas.

As usual, I return to my copy of the Hitchcock/Truffaut interviews for the master's wit and wisdom as a director. Droll po-faced humour.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... not Hitchcock, but if you like noirish 1940s films, next week we have -

Monday 14 Nov, more4, 10:55am Gilda

Thursday 17 Nov, more4, 11:20am The Lady from Shanghai

Comment

Working...
            X