Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live Screening of "Twelfth Night" 14.02.18

We went to this for Frau A's birthday. Previously I'd been only to live opera screenings, never plays.

The cinema was completely sold out, though there are a few empty seat. On entry, there was no annoying music, and a live picture of the empty stage and the theatre filling up was being projected. So we really felt as though we were almost there. Everything was perfect. The countdown of the clock in the corner was unobtrusive but was useful.

On the approach of zero, the screen changed. A large microphone appeared, behind which was none other than Suzy Klein. The people in the RSC were not subjected to this, so why on earth were we granted this privilege? We were treated to a Proms-type dumbed down interview, the like of which we are so used to on BBC TV and Radio 3. But this had nothing whatever to do with the BBC.

Some of us had surmised that the reason for the BBC "going soft" was because the BBC management had imposed a policy on the innocent presenters, who had to go through these painful motions in order to ensure their continued employment with the corporation. It seems, however, that this is not necessarily the case, and the SK/Anne Robinson smirk is alive and well with live screenings from the RSC too.

She appeared again for an interval chat with the costumes department too. Again, the theatre audience did not have to go through this hoop in order to pass the time.

I've been to a few live theate screenings: generally speaking, I've found the 'repeats' to be a better bet than the actual live broadcasts. The Man & Superman one I wnet to suffered from a drop-out early on (very brief but still annoying). Plus, the repeats don't tend to feature the 'live commentary' you find so objectionable. And they're cheaper!

The Live from the Met broadcasts I've seen have generally been good. Renee Fleming was a good presenter on the ...Onegin I saw last year and there are usually some interesting interval features.

Twelfth Night is one of my three least favourite Shakespeare plays (the others are Much Ado About Nothing and Romeo & Juliet), so I shall be giving any repeats a miss!

Comment

I loved the actual performance, but I knew everything would be fantastic and amazing, because Suzy told me.

Comment

Mrs A and I saw it. Our local town hall hosts the live screening, but it is set out with tables which you sit around (not with your back to the screen obviously), the idea being that you fork out for wine and/or coffee and cake before it all begins ,and in the interval. It is significant that during the Suzy Klein bits, nobody really took any notice, and the buzz of conversation didn't die down until the play proper started.

I thought the production was brilliant, and we had a good night out. Especially hilarious was the scene with Malvolio's monologue where Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Sir Toby Belch and the maid Maria hid behind statues. But then I'm a sucker for slapstick humour.

Comment

Isn't it time for the annual " which night is actually Twelfth Night" banter ?

Though obviously it is the 6th.
          Shall have a watch of the Nigel Hawthorn as Malvolio film. Marvellous.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

This was screened yesterday (the 8th)...on BBC4....but not live.

Shakespeare’s comedy of mistaken identity and love, from the Globe Theatre.

If anyone wants to read about the number of days in Christmas, try:

....and become thoroughly confused.

Comment

Working...
            X