Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Art of Spain

A useful antidote to the disappointing "Civilizations", and object lesson in how it should be done...I watched the first episode of Andrew Graham-Dixon's The Art of Spain last night, covering the 700 years of Moorish Spain, or rather Al-Andalus. He followed very much the trajectory of my first few visits to Spain, starting in 1972 and soaking up the architecture of Córdoba, Seville and Granada (actually I went to Granada first, then Córdoba, but he was rightly following the narrative). His ability (ably supported by his producer and cameraman) to describe and interpret a space, whether it be the Mezquita, the Alcázar or Alhambra, unequalled among today's TV presenters (I remember him, years ago, "doing" the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel). I've felt less comfortable with his two-handed travels with Giorgio Locatelli, where the mateyness has seemed forced, but AGD to camera as good as it gets. The one duff note was his trying to do a bit of flamenco singing, which ended up as a send-up, though the ladies clearly took a shine to him.

Sad to see the Alhambra today, where he had to compete for space with the tourists. I witnessed this on my second visit, 30 years ago. In summer of 1972 there had been very few other tourists, you could buy a ticket and spend all day wandering around, alone with your thoughts. I went for at least part of every day for a week. I took my wife there in 1986, promising her how marvellous it was - it was rammed with tourists and utterly grim. The same with Córdoba. In 1972 you could wander through the forest of pillars...on our 1986 trip, a large part of it was partitioned off for a philately exhibition (of all things ). It was looking pretty good in the programme, the act of cultural vandalism that is the cathedral nicely skewered by AGD. He mentioned how Charles V realised it had been a mistake - he could have mentioned the palace that bears Charles V's name which disfigures the Alhambra. My run of bad luck continued in 1989, when the Alcázar in Seville was closed off for some sort of government meenting, lines of black limos and men in shades....

Yes, this is really AGD at his best. I have all his 'Art of..." docs and the Spain one I think is still the best, although the Germany one is very good. I think it gets even better when he heads north and looks at 'Las Meninas' then ends up in Barcelona in the old lady's flat in Gaudi's La Padrera...

Comment

I haven't seen the programme yet. One of the few joys of modern broadcasting is that we are having more of these things on the visual arts. Perhaps it is my age but I find that they can draw me in so as to build on a patchier sort of interest earlier in my life. I happened to catch Andrew Graham-Dixon's "Art of France : This is the Modern World" just a few days ago. I thought it was well written and ably presented. The only issue I had was with the camera people who favoured the sort of swirling that I mostly tend to associate with sea sickness.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
        Yes, this is really AGD at his best. I have all his 'Art of..." docs and the Spain one I think is still the best, although the Germany one is very good. I think it gets even better when he heads north and looks at 'Las Meninas' then ends up in Barcelona in the old lady's flat in Gaudi's La Padrera...
        Enjoyed this (for he 2nd time?). Much as I generally dislike the BBC imperative for the presenter to 'have a go' at everything, I did find his efforts at singing Flamenco both amusing and rather good in an excruciating sort of way.

Comment

I'd either forgotten or hadn't realised it was a repeat - must have missed it last time. Last night's retraced some of my own travels round Spain, starting at El Escorial where I spent a week at a seminar in 2001 (ending with a recital in the cloister by Joaquín Achúcarro), and taking in Toledo (for which the music was the Concierto de Aranjuez ) and Ávila (accompanied by Albeniz' Asturias ), followed by Trujillo, Guadalupe and Salamanca, remarkable places all.

I enjoyed his exposition of the Spanish painters (and El Greco ). Velazquez the greatest Spanish painter of all? Perhaps, though if forced to choose just one I'd go for Goya, who we haven't got to yet, though it would be like comparing apples and oranges.

AGD's Spanish not so hot (unlike his Italian). He committed the howler of saying 'Extremadura' referred to its being an "extremely hard" place, gave Las Meninas a tllde where there isn't one (rendering it Meniñas), and kept talking about "Conkwistadors" . But as arty travelogues go, he still leads the pack IMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            I'd either forgotten or hadn't realised it was a repeat -
            You clearly havent been watching his latest series - The Art of France or the one on the Royal Collection - otherwise you might have been struck by his amazing Dorian Gray-esque return to svelteness, grizzled locks replaced by tawny brown curls etc!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
              You clearly havent been watching his latest series - The Art of France or the one on the Royal Collection - otherwise you might have been struck by his amazing Dorian Gray-esque return to svelteness, grizzled locks replaced by tawny brown curls etc!

Comment

Working...
              X