Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'The Interrogation of Tony Martin' (Channel 4). Steve Pemberton on top form with good support from Daniel Mays. The last 5 minutes or so would not have been out of place 'Inside No. 9'!

Comment

I have been sent a copy of this programme, and am surprised nobody has mentioned it.

My anglophilia did not quite reach Parry, I was aware only of a couple of rather well-known pieces (one of which is unavoidable) and a few LPs by Boult. The programme was interesting, with some good biographical details (and one surprising photograph of the undergraduate), but there was little about the musical biography and life, such as how did he reach his eminent position? I was prompted to find out more, which I will. Did anybody else view, and what are your opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
        https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...rince-of-wales

I have been sent a copy of this programme, and am surprised nobody has mentioned it.

My anglophilia did not quite reach Parry, I was aware only of a couple of rather well-known pieces (one of which is unavoidable) and a few LPs by Boult. The programme was interesting, with some good biographical details (and one surprising photograph of the undergraduate), but there was little about the musical biography and life, such as how did he reach his eminent position? I was prompted to find out more, which I will. Did anybody else view, and what are your opinions?
        For me the programme was more about Prince Charles' musical tastes than Parry, and I almost found myself moved to pat him metaphorically on the back (or more likely the head!) for name dropping "The Stravinskys and the Schoenbergs" at one point in reference to Parry's anachronism. Possibly the programme was actually discussed on the forum when it was first shown?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          . . . Possibly the programme was actually discussed on the forum when it was first shown?
          Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Many thanks Bryn. Seven years ago, fancy: seems only like yesterday!

Comment

The member of the production team who sent me a copy told me it had been re-edited for this broadcast, but I know not in what manner. Perhaps the original thread could have been moved to the composer section, which is where I searched for comments.

I assume that one can enjoy a television documentary twice, as one can read books or listen to records many times.

Comment

The member of the production team who sent me a copy told me it had been re-edited for this broadcast, but I know not in what manner. Perhaps the original thread could have been moved to the composer section, which is where I searched for comments.

I assume that one can enjoy a television documentary twice, as one can read books or listen to records many times.
                Indeed, there are several documentaries I recorded on VHS back in the 1990s which have enjoyed numerous re-plays in my case.

From re-reading the thread we've been alerted to by Bryn in #154, one discovers that this programme was actually shown for a second time in 2013.

Comment

I think my original post complied with the title of this thread, but I must remember in future to read all previous posts in all threads before commenting.
                  Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 20-11-18, 18:36. Reason: retranslation

Comment

I think my original post complied with the title of this thread, but I must remember in future to read all previous posts in all sections before commenting.

Comment

Many thanks Bryn. Seven years ago, fancy: seems only like yesterday!
                      I knew it had been some years ago, but I think I must have seen the 2013 repeat rather than the 2011 original. perhaps someone who saw it this time can help with something that has been niggling at me even before this latest repeat came up. I have a memory of a choral piece(The Owl?) which stuck in my mind because of the extraordinary(to my ears) harmonies. Was it this programme?
                      The references to Highnam Court were of interest the first time around as I had some brief encounters with the project April Cantelo and Roger Smith set up to rescue it from dereliction and use it for various activities.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        I knew it had been some years ago, but I think I must have seen the 2013 repeat rather than the 2011 original. perhaps someone who saw it this time can help with something that has been niggling at me even before this latest repeat came up. I have a memory of a choral piece(The Owl?) which stuck in my mind because of the extraordinary(to my ears) harmonies. Was it this programme?
                        The references to Highnam Court were of interest the first time around as I had some brief encounters with the project April Cantelo and Roger Smith set up to rescue it from dereliction and use it for various activities.
                        Four unison songs (1909):

The Owl (Lord Alfred Tennyson)
                        A contented mind (James Joseph Sylvester)
                        Sorrow and song (Hedderwick)
                        The mistletoe (Father Prout)
                        Last edited by Bryn; 20-11-18, 18:17. Reason: Not the Elgar.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          That was another John Bridcut documentary - on the subject of Elgar. Like you I was much impressed by this particular work, noting it's chromatic harmonic language as remarkably close to that of Schoenberg's Friede auf Erden, Op 13, also composed for an a capella choir, and roughly contemporary with it.

Edward Elgar Part-Songs - Four Choral Songs, Op. 53, No. 1 There is Sweet MusicCambridge University Chamber ChoirChristopher Robinson

Comment

That was another John Bridcut documentary - on the subject of Elgar. Like you I was much impressed by this particular work, noting it's chromatic harmonic language as remarkably close to that of Schoenberg's Friede auf Erden, Op 13, also composed for an a capella choir, and roughly contemporary with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqfOfHDFT0k
                            Oh thank you SA. I couldn't remember if it was Parry or Elgar, just the image of the vocal ensemble and the sound of what they were singing.

Comment

Michael Portillo - do not watch if squeamish

We quite often watch programmes introduced by Michael Portillo - mostly very good. Channel 5 has a few right now. The one about the Cambridge Military Hospital (now derelect) is grim, though fascinating.

Mostly about severe injuries from WWI and WWII, the scale of injuries shown was horrific. Seeing that a bullet hole could look small at the point of entry, but absolutely massive at the exit point was something I did not know. There is a demonstration of that in the programme, as well as a number of pictures of severely injured people.

The medical techniques developed though largely as a result of the work by one man - Harold Gillies - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Gillies in plastic surgery are amazing.]

Do not watch if squeamish - it is horrible.

Comment

This is magnificent:

Following 18-year-old Billy as he returns to racing after the amputation of his legs.

... an astonishing and humbling story of human resilience and determination from an extraordinary "ordinary" young bloke and his family. Motor racing doesn't float my boat at all, but this is something else ...
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X