No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    'Let me shoot 'im, Mr, Mainwaring'.

I think my best memory of Ian Lavender was the episode where he was dressed as a german officer for a propaganda film. He was immaculate,the very image of the stage Nazi.

Coincidentally, Philip Madoc, who played the U-boat commander in the famous 'Don't tell him, Pike!' sketch ('Your name vill also go on ze list') is appearing currently on TPTV (Channel 82) as another fervent Nazi, an SS officer in 'Manhunt' an excellent ITV serial from , I guess, the early '70s. The cast includes Peter Barkworth, Robert Hardy (for once playing a villain) and Alfred Lynch in, I think, the best role I've seen him in. It's set in occupied France in 1942/3 . Quite gripping.

And fans of early '70s Tv drama may need reminding that 'The Brothers ' is also being shown on TPTV, a family saga .
    A Thames TV production originally broadcast between the 2nd of January and the 26th of June 1970. There was only the one series.

Comment

I suppose the story dictated a limit to the length of the series; it would have lost credibilty if they'd kept on the run. At any rate I found it much (much) better than the later 'Wish me Luck' which did run for several series and did lose all creibility as it went on. I often find this with long-running programmes, e.g. 'Ballykissangel' , which became wackier and wackier when the original actors left.

Comment

I suppose the story dictated a limit to the length of the series; it would have lost credibilty if they'd kept on the run. At any rate I found it much (much) better than the later 'Wish me Luck' which did run for several series and did lose all creibility as it went on. I often find this with long-running programmes, e.g. 'Ballykissangel' , which became wackier and wackier when the original actors left.
        I don't think 'Minder' was ever the same after Terry left.

Comment

Indeed. Hamlet without the Prince, one might say!

Comment

Coincidentally, Philip Madoc, who played the U-boat commander in the famous 'Don't tell him, Pike!' sketch ('Your name vill also go on ze list') is appearing currently on TPTV (Channel 82) as another fervent Nazi, an SS officer in 'Manhunt' an excellent ITV serial from , I guess, the early '70s.
            And he also played Magua in the BBC's "The Last of the Mohicans" at around the same time. Two individuals I used to like loathing.

Comment

On 'Parkinson: The Interviews' last night I thoroughly enjoyed watching Walter Matthau and George Burns. Matthau clearly in awe of Burns, and Burns sitting, cigar in mouth, telling jokes. Funny to see that Matthau could not tell jokes. Great fun.

Comment

Indeed. Hamlet without the Prince, one might say!
                Hamlet without the hair on the G-string!

Comment

You're killing me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Really want to see this, thanks for the reminder!

Meanwhile, a rarity on BBCFour last week …

… a dramatisation of ultimately rather an odd Muriel Spark work, but a fabulous cast - always delightful to see Michael Hordern, Maggie Smith, Stephanie Cole, Maurice Denham, Thora Hird, John Wood etc etc going through their paces!
                    Thanks for this. Much enjoyed a couple of nights ago.

Comment

I saw that and found it original and absorbing. I thought the moral of it was 'let one who is without sin cast the first stone'.

It was full of subtleties too: for instance the way Maggie Smith's character changed her accent suddenly when expressing her true feelings .

Comment

I saw that and found it original and absorbing. I thought the moral of it was 'let one who is without sin cast the first stone'.

It was full of subtleties too: for instance the way Maggie Smith's character changed her accent suddenly when expressing her true feelings .
                        I agree with you and Pulcinella, especially once I realized that I had initially misread 'subtleties' as 'subtitles'!

Comment

Anyone catch the two episodes from Ken Russel's version of Lady Chatterley on BBC4 last night. It's rare to hear three English composers used as film music - Delius, Elgar and Holst - especially in the scenes Ken chose them to accompany. The Wand of Youth indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                            Anyone catch the two episodes from Ken Russel's version of Lady Chatterley on BBC4 last night. It's rare to hear three English composers used as film music - Delius, Elgar and Holst - especially in the scenes Ken chose them to accompany. The Wand of Youth indeed.
                            I recorded all 4 episodes, but found Episode 1 hard going and gave up. I think it would have been better to ask Michael Palin to turn Lawrence's story into an episode of 'Ripping Yarns' with MP playing the James Wilby role. There was also far too much 'background' music for my liking - did you spot the brief extract from Frank Bridge's 'The Sea', by the way? I suspect that, in addition to co-writing, directing and playing a major role in this adaptation, Ken Russell also had a say in the choice of music.
                            Last edited by LMcD; 15-02-24, 21:30.

Comment

I didn't recognise all the music incl the Frank Bridge. Although I don't know I somehow feel sure that KR chose the music he wanted.

Comment

The Space Shuttle That Fell to Earth (BBC Two) and on iPlayer
                                ​This three-part documentary about the Columbia space shuttle disaster in February 2003 is well worth the time it takes to watch. It lays bare the rigid thinking and impenetrable managerial structures that led to the tragedy in which the crew of seven all died.

Comment

Working...
                                X