Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    I'm late recommending The Gone on BBC, Irish-Kiwi police procedural set in New Zealand, with some fascinating characters and relationships. I hadn't realised how much Maori language there is in everday speech there - including by the white population. The 6 episodes have been broadcast and are available on iPlayer. A second series is reported to be filming at the moment.
    Indeed. My 3 year old grandson in Wellington doesn't have food: he has kai. His play group's communications are peppered with Maori usages, I'm happy to report. I need to put more time into learning the language. The rather dated Teach Yourself book I have begins splendidly with the words of the haka.

Comment

Originally posted by AHR View Post

Indeed. My 3 year old grandson in Wellington doesn't have food: he has kai. His play group's communications are peppered with Maori usages, I'm happy to report. I need to put more time into learning the language. The rather dated Teach Yourself book I have begins splendidly with the words of the haka.
      Are you in New Zealand, AHR?

Comment

Would I were! I'm in Scotland where the family have just been for a visit.

Comment

Next Sunday evening on BBC4 are two films of Neville Marriner conducting: Mendelssohn 4 and, presumably, Brian Newbould's realisation of the sketches for Schubert's tenth.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            Next Sunday evening on BBC4 are two films of Neville Marriner conducting: Mendelssohn 4 and, presumably, Brian Newbould's realisation of the sketches for Schubert's tenth.
            I wouldn't exactly recommend that as an alternative introduction to classical music to what Radio 3 now offers.

Comment

At 9pm tonight on Sky Arts TV, a documentary on Camille Pissarro: the Father of Impressionism - a fascinating artist who spent a year living in this very district and painting its then-rural landscapes and streets including the Crystal Palace..

On right now, a documentary on Dickens' relationship with the supernatural and portraying it in his ghost stories, commentary by David Harewood.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                At 9pm tonight on Sky Arts TV, a documentary on Camille Pissarro: the Father of Impressionism - a fascinating artist who spent a year living in this very district and painting its then-rural landscapes and streets including the Crystal Palace..

On right now, a documentary on Dickens' relationship with the supernatural and portraying it in his ghost stories, commentary by David Harewood.
                Yes the Pissarro on Sky is the second in a short season of artist films. The first last week was on Mary Cassatt and was really excellent - isn't this the sort of thing that BBC 4 was invented for..must get on to Suzy Klein and find out what she does all day!

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  'The Dropout' is an absorbing 8-part series, tucked away late at night on BBC1, about the Theranos scandal. Amanda Seyfried, who plays big-time fraudster Elizabeth Holmes, is mesmerising. All episodes available on iPlayer.
                  ....VERY MUCH SO....I'd say the best thing on TV this year by far....excellent in so many ways....for those of you who do not know the story of Elizabeth Holmes rise and fall of a medical start up in California this is a chgance to find out. It is brilliantly enacted/produced/screenplayed and directed...great acting. You might think it a bizarre thing to hang 8 episodes on....I cannot find anything to complain about it, an unusual occurrence.
                  bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    ....VERY MUCH SO....I'd say the best thing on TV this year by far....excellent in so many ways....for those of you who do not know the story of Elizabeth Holmes rise and fall of a medical start up in California this is a chgance to find out. It is brilliantly enacted/produced/screenplayed and directed...great acting. You might think it a bizarre thing to hang 8 episodes on....I cannot find anything to complain about it, an unusual occurrence.
                    I've watched 5 episodes so far and am pacing myself rather than immediately bingeing on the remaining three! Let's hope that others might be encouraged to head for iPlayer and give it a try - a few drops should be enough.

Comment

Tonight on Sky Arts 9.00 The Warhol Effect: A look at the last decade of Andy Warhol's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                        Tonight on Sky Arts 9.00 The Warhol Effect: A look at the last decade of Andy Warhol's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          The new adaptation of The Talented Mr Ripley on Netflix seems well worth watching.
                          ... I am revelling in Andrew Scott's Ripley. The photography is a wonder, and Mr Scott mesmerising.

So far three episodes (of eight) : I think I shall be sad when it ends....

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I am revelling in Andrew Scott's Ripley. The photography is a wonder, and Mr Scott mesmerising.

The reviews are mixed (to put it mildly) but I'd already added it to my 'Netflix' list and will probably tune in for Episode 1 this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Nearly at the end of Ripley; I think it's quite something.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

The reviews are mixed (to put it mildly) but I'd already added it to my 'Netflix' list and will probably tune in for Episode 1 this evening.
                                It’s exceptionally good! The film noir look is perfectly (and perfectly appropriately) recreated​, with all the attendant brooding tension, and the soundtrack is spot-on to match. The pacing is so good and every shot a marvel. It’s not a series for bingeing, it’s worth saving episodes for times when they can be fully absorbed & appreciated.

(I’ve previously found Andrew Scott annoying in everything he’s done, but not here - he’s just right.)

I can only think that the negative reviews are from people with Tik-Tok attention spans and an inability to enjoy black & white film-making
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X