X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Stan and Ollie. The Movie.

I'm really looking forward to this movie which opens on 11th January. Although I loved their films as a child I've tended to avoid them as I got older due to the fact that I didn't want to be disappointed. I was a big fan of M*A*S*H as a teenager and watched the episodes obsessively but after it came off air I didn't see it for years and was delighted to see it on YouTube. Alas, the subsequent 20 odd years had not been kind and I was appalled at how, imho, it was forced and obvious.

However, I watched a Laurel and Hardy a few weeks ago at the request of a client and resigned myself to being bitterly disappointed. My goodness, I laughed so hard! So stupid but so human.
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this movie which opens on 11th January. Although I loved their films as a child I've tended to avoid them as I got older due to the fact that I didn't want to be disappointed. I was a big fan of M*A*S*H as a teenager and watched the episodes obsessively but after it came off air I didn't see it for years and was delighted to see it on YouTube. Alas, the subsequent 20 odd years had not been kind and I was appalled at how, imho, it was forced and obvious.

However, I watched a Laurel and Hardy a few weeks ago at the request of a client and resigned myself to being bitterly disappointed. My goodness, I laughed so hard! So stupid but so human.
    I didn't know about it so thank you very much - it sounds very good - although I probably won't see it until it is on television.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I'm really looking forward to this movie which opens on 11th January.
      - coming to Hebden Bridge in February; and with an almost unrecognisable Steve Coogan as Ulverston's favourite son.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        - coming to Hebden Bridge in February; and with an almost unrecognisable Steve Coogan as Ulverston's favourite son.
        I was there a couple of weeks ago. Lovely town where a friend and I had tea at Gillam's - the home of Ulverston's favourite daughter, Jess! Alas, I didn't make it to the Laurel and Hardy museum but we'll be going back soon so maybe aha visit will occur.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

I've really enjoyed the trailers for this movie and am so keen to see it when it opens next Friday.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

My goodness, I laughed so hard! So stupid but so human.
            Absolute genius, and I've never been disappointed in 50 years of watching them. (Quite a bit more recently as a number of their films have turned up on Talking Pictures TV; also extensively to be found on YouTube). For me, L&H always mopped the floor with Chaplin, Keaton &c.

Most recently watched one of my favourites, County Hospital, with a friend and 15yo son - all three of us weeping with laughter, not least at a couple of classic Stan Laurel 'solos':

"Hard-boiled eggs and nuts..."

Definitely going to catch the forthcoming film.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Edgy 2
              • Jan 2019

Yes looking forward to this film.
              Currently enjoying working my way through this 21 DVD Christmas present.

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                Yes looking forward to this film.
                Currently enjoying working my way through this 21 DVD Christmas present.

Fantastic! I thought about buying one of these sets since my 're-discovery' of Laurel and Hardy. Then again, my birthday is coming up...

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Well, Mrs. PG and I went to see this movie tonite. It was very good indeed and explored the very close relationship between these two originals. In many respects, a very sad film as they realise that their glory days are over but are almost forced to go on performing in order to earn enough to be able to retire. And, of course, their relationship wasn't simply between the two men - Laurel and Hardy's wives were a formidable duo in their own right.

Terrific movie and well worth seeing.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Well, Mrs. PG and I went to see this movie tonite. It was very good indeed and explored the very close relationship between these two originals. In many respects, a very sad film as they realise that their glory days are over but are almost forced to go on performing in order to earn enough to be able to retire. And, of course, their relationship wasn't simply between the two men - Laurel and Hardy's wives were a formidable duo in their own right.

Thank you very much for your posts. I am so pleased that a film has been made of them to keep their flames alive. My first thought was Hugh Laurie, a bit strangely name wise, for Stan Laurel but I see that Steve Coogan has been nominated for several awards for his performance. The teaming was probably right. They could easily have chosen someone like Gervais for Hardy and I don't think it would have worked because then there would have been two British comedy actors associated with a particular era which would have usurped.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Absolute genius, and I've never been disappointed in 50 years of watching them. (Quite a bit more recently as a number of their films have turned up on Talking Pictures TV; also extensively to be found on YouTube). For me, L&H always mopped the floor with Chaplin, Keaton &c.

Most recently watched one of my favourites, County Hospital, with a friend and 15yo son - all three of us weeping with laughter, not least at a couple of classic Stan Laurel 'solos':

"Hard-boiled eggs and nuts..."

Definitely going to catch the forthcoming film.
                      Brilliant stuff, haven’t seen one in decades. So many touches that we think of as modern....and the salt pot moment is perfect.

And I’d forgotten that we used to sing the theme tune at the football as the police walked by......happy days !!
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                        • Jan 2019

Going to see this next Wednesday
                        “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• hmvman
                          • Mar 2007

Saw it today and can only add to the recommendations. A lovely, poignant, film.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                            Saw it today and can only add to the recommendations. A lovely, poignant, film.

Me too: I wonder if we were at the same screening.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

And I’d forgotten that we used to sing the theme tune at the football as the police walked by......happy days !!

Comment

Working...
                              X