• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

I have never expected to see this again. Good old days.

• burning dog
    • Dec 2010

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
      I have never expected to see this again. Good old days.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...e-jacques-demy
      Aaaah... mais oui!

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

It is associated in my memory with Le Bonheur by Agnès Varda which I must have seen around the same time at the student Film Soc, i.e. about 50 years ago. I don't think I have seen either since and may well now seek them out, so thanks for the nudge.

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

An excellent film, which I have on DVD but which I’ve not watched in a long time.

My chief memories of the film: the excellence of the photography but ‘that song’ being a bit played to death.

Also: the man whom Catherine Deneuze marries looks a right dodgy geezer, but he’s not supposed to be, is he?

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
            An excellent film, which I have on DVD but which I’ve not watched in a long time.

My chief memories of the film: the excellence of the photography but ‘that song’ being a bit played to death.

Also: the man whom Catherine Deneuze marries looks a right dodgy geezer, but he’s not supposed to be, is he?
            ...looks or looked?

I have quite a few films I prefer not to revisit for various reasons. Maybe this is one of them but I am very glad to see it being shown again after all this time.

He would have been pleased.
            French composer, jazz musician and conductor who wrote the scores for more than 250 films including The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Yentl

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

No connection, but here's a pic wot I took in Carloforte.....

I never saw the film, but I'd love to, following all the nostalgic comments above.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post

Mon dieu - you have Deneuve to mis-spell her name!

Comment

• Andy Freude

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Mon dieu - you have Deneuve to mis-spell her name!
                  Excellent!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

I remember showing this movie as projectionist of the school film club. I couldn't believe how beautiful Ms. Deneuve was. 40 years later, I'm still in awe of her!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      I remember showing this movie as projectionist of the school film club. I couldn't believe how beautiful Ms. Deneuve was. 40 years later, I'm still in awe of her!
                      I was living and working just around the corner from where, at the time, they were filming Polansky's "Repulsion" - I remember well the workmen's hut on the traffic island outside S Ken tube station depicted in the film. That Italian cafeteria where the boyfriend fuitlessly waits for her was still there in the late 1980s - I must check and see if it still is, next time I am in the area. Imagine how I would have felt as a 19-year old to have chanced across Deneuve - unfortunately I was not aware that this was taking place! Two years later I saw her in "Belle de Jour" in Zurich: I have the DVD of that, but I'm not so sure it would be made today.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        It is associated in my memory with Le Bonheur by Agnès Varda which I must have seen around the same time at the student Film Soc, i.e. about 50 years ago. I don't think I have seen either since and may well now seek them out, so thanks for the nudge.
                        I have the same mental association - I saw them both while at University - and desire to see both again.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

I was living and working just around the corner from where, at the time, they were filming Polansky's "Repulsion" - I remember well the workmen's hut on the traffic island outside S Ken tube station depicted in the film. That Italian cafeteria where the boyfriend fuitlessly waits for her was still there in the late 1980s - I must check and see if it still is, next time I am in the area. Imagine how I would have felt as a 19-year old to have chanced across Deneuve - unfortunately I was not aware that this was taking place! Two years later I saw her in "Belle de Jour" in Zurich: I have the DVD of that, but I'm not so sure it would be made today.
                          Your post recalls for me that Polansky included in Repulsion two buskers whom I would see around Soho, in particular, at around that time. A moustachioed man playing the clarinet (IIRC) as he walked, with a companion who played the spoons, shuffling backwards in front of the clarinettist, on the edge of the pavement or just off it. It was quite a thrill to see them memorialised in the movie as I felt a kind of affection for them as Soho eccentrics.

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

Tristana directed by Luis Buñuel was another. Looking back, I don’t think I understood what it was (really) all about. I was simply fascinated by what I saw on the screen.

Comment

Working...
                            X