Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musical treasure-trove on Amazon Prime streaming

Last night I came across a rich vein of music videos available free within the Amazon Prime service. Notably the Mahler symphonies in Abbado’s last traversal with the Lucerne Festival Orchestra (including No 6 which was I think the ultimate BAL choice in the work). All in HD sound & vision.

There seems to be a lot of other material too, haven’t yet investigated fully.

I came across it all searching for subsequent seasons of a series some here might enjoy: Mozart in the Jungle. Nothing to do with music in the rain forest: the jungle is the Big Apple - the series is a comedy set backstage (and sometimes on stage) at the “New York Symphony”... orchestral manoeuvres involving players, administrators, backers as the orchestra moves on from established white-haired English chief conductor to new wild-haired instinctive Latin wunder-youth “Rodrigo”.

It’s variable in quality & humour but good enough to keep me watching, not least a great cast: the two maestri are played by Malcolm McDowell and Gael García Bernal, no less, and the episodes trip along (4 seasons of 10 x 30 minute episodes)

More entertaining than the rival French Philharmonia on All 4 (though some common thematic elements - I suspect the French series was an attempt to trade on the Amazon series’s success).

Be interested to know what folk here think.

(Warning: the usual unconvincing acting of actual conducting/playing )
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Last night I came across a rich vein of music videos available free within the Amazon Prime service. Notably the Mahler symphonies in Abbado’s last traversal with the Lucerne Festival Orchestra (including No 6 which was I think the ultimate BAL choice in the work). All in HD sound & vision.

There seems to be a lot of other material too, haven’t yet investigated fully.

I came across it all searching for subsequent seasons of a series some here might enjoy: Mozart in the Jungle. Nothing to do with music in the rain forest: the jungle is the Big Apple - the series is a comedy set backstage (and sometimes on stage) at the “New York Symphony”... orchestral manoeuvres involving players, administrators, backers as the orchestra moves on from established white-haired English chief conductor to new wild-haired instinctive Latin wunder-youth “Rodrigo”.

It’s variable in quality & humour but good enough to keep me watching, not least a great cast: the two maestri are played by Malcolm McDowell and Gael García Bernal, no less, and the episodes trip along (4 seasons of 10 x 30 minute episodes)

More entertaining than the rival French Philharmonia on All 4 (though some common thematic elements - I suspect the French series was an attempt to trade on the Amazon series’s success).

Be interested to know what folk here think.

(Warning: the usual unconvincing acting of actual conducting/playing )
    Can't find these - not for nothing did I originally seriously consider posting as 'Technoprat' . Can you please provide a link or further details/instructions - thank you.
    I have a very fine DVD of Abbado conducting the Lucerne Festival Orchestra in Mahler's 6th.
    Last edited by LMcD; 30-07-20, 16:57.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Can't find these - not for nothing did I originally seriously consider posting as 'Technoprat' . Can you please provide a link or further details/instructions - thank you.
      I have a very fine DVD of Abbado conducting the Lucerne Festival Orchestra in Mahler's 6th.
      Let me see about links...

Meanwhile, if you stick “Mahler” into the search box for the Prime Video section of the Amazon site, you should see the Abbado performances after the Ken Russell film...

... or “Mozart” will take you to the comedy series as well as various video performances

Comment

Here’s a link to the Mahler 6 (for example): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/de..._dp_share_cu_r

Let me see about links...

Meanwhile, if you stick “Mahler” into the search box for the Prime Video section of the Amazon site, you should see the Abbado performances after the Ken Russell film...

... or “Mozart” will take you to the comedy series as well as various video performances

Comment

And here the link to Mozart in the Jungle:

Comment

Thanks very much for that. Our daughter put her login on our TV last time she was here. I had not realised such things were available.

Comment

Here’s a link to the Mahler 6 (for example): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/de..._dp_share_cu_r

Thanks - I've now found my way to the appropriate site(s) by clicking on 'In all departments'. The Mahler 6th is the version I already have on DVD - it's a terrific performance. I look forward to watching some of the other treasures to which you have so kindly drawn my attention!

Comment

I had no idea Prime could be musically interesting, many thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                  I had no idea Prime could be musically interesting.
                  Nor had I until yesterday!

Comment

Sorry, which order did you say the movements are?

Great find, Cals. Thanks.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Good one Rumpole ...... M2 for me tomorrow evening .....

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Sorry, which order did you say the movements are?

Great find, Cals. Thanks.
                        This makes my annual subscription to Prime seem even more of a bargain. (£79 as against nearly £96 over the year if you pay monthly).
                        As for the Mahler 6 .... 'We ARE playing all the right movements, but NOT NECESSARILY in the right order'.

Comment

I think these performances are all from the Medici tv catalagoue, which is included on Prime. If you search for Medici tv under Prima Video, you’ll find more concerts, ballets and operas available. These include performances from Glyndebourne, the Verbier festival etc and there are some real treasures there.
                          "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                          Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            Good one Rumpole ...... M2 for me tomorrow evening .....
                            Superb, simply superb IMVVHO

Comment

Working...
                            X