Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also sprach Zarathustra

Witty new drama exploring the ideas - and misuse - of Nietzsche's world-changing book.

Brilliant Radio 4 play...probably the best I've heard for ages. It's a highly imaginative conversation between books, their authors and people trying to arrange them on a charity shop bookshelf. (I was amused that the introductory music was the opening trumpet fanfare to the Strauss played deliberately badly.) It was a sort of comedy but with a serious point, i.e. that Nietzsche was not the fascist, racist b*****d that the Nazis made him out to be. If you have an hour to spend on i-player, do give this a spin.

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000p0g5

Brilliant Radio 4 play...probably the best I've heard for ages. It's a highly imaginative conversation between books, their authors and people trying to arrange them on a charity shop bookshelf. (I was amused that the introductory music was the opening trumpet fanfare to the Strauss played deliberately badly.) It was a sort of comedy but with a serious point, i.e. that Nietzsche was not the fascist, racist b*****d that the Nazis made him out to be. If you have an hour to spend on i-player, do give this a spin.
    That is not "deliberately played badly". That's your actual Portsmouth Sinfonia, featuring such musical luminaries as Brian Eno and Michael Nyman and Gavn Bryars.

Comment

It is however very funny as are their other performances.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
        It is however very funny as are their other performances.
        As it happens, I was an honorary member and performed in a couple of concerts in which they also featured, including the notorious "Beethoven Today" concert in the Purcell Room in 1970 when my role was as side-drummer in the Shrapnel Wood and Metal Band. I would highly recommend the recent:

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000p0g5

I like to tell musicians of my acquaintance whose index card is next to theirs in my alphabetically ordered index card boxes of recordings. One of them said, "it's surprising your boxes don't catch fire, with some of the artists you have as intimate neighbours". Neighbours from Hell indeed!

Comment

Music aside, the essence this extract from Wiki:

After his death, his sister Elisabeth became the curator and editor of Nietzsche's manuscripts. She edited his unpublished writings to fit her German nationalist ideology while often contradicting or obfuscating Nietzsche's stated opinions, which were explicitly opposed to antisemitism and nationalism. Through her published editions, Nietzsche's work became associated with fascism and Nazism;

...was emphasised in the play. I had not realised that his sister Elisabeth had been the one who had been responsible for the mis-interptetaon of Nietzsche's writings among the fascists of the early 20th century.
            Last edited by ardcarp; 05-11-20, 16:27.

Comment

I agree. I listened yesterday while raking leaves. It was a novel (chortle) approach, really good.

Has anyone actually read Zarathustra? It's heavy going to say the least...

Project Gutenberg offers 71,151 free eBooks for Kindle, iPad, Nook, Android, and iPhone.
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                I agree. I listened yesterday while raking leaves. It was a novel (chortle) approach, really good.

Has anyone actually read Zarathustra? It's heavy going to say the least...

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/779
                An English translation here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1998/1998-h/1998-h.htm

Comment

Working...
                X