Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Geoffrey Palmer

The prolific actor was best known for starring with Dame Judi Dench in BBC sitcom As Time Goes By.

at his best in Reginald Perrin?

"Bit of a cock-up on the catering front... "

From The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin Series 1, Episode 2Random Topics: http://randomtopics.org/index.phpNews, Crime, Videos, Music, Pictures, Games...W...

Last edited by vinteuil; 06-11-20, 16:00.

He managed to portray the smooth middle-aged arrogant upper middle class Tory MP type to perfection, especially in Lindsay Anderson's O Lucky Man, my favourite movie as it happens: "They're all good chaps" has long been one of my favourite quotes. But the character I loved him best as was in As Times Go By.

Comment

He was one of those ‘ever present’ actors over my many years of television viewing - Reggie Perrin, Butterflies, As time goes by and many others - often the straight man that humour could not do without.

RIP Geoffrey

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

The prolific actor was best known for starring with Dame Judi Dench in BBC sitcom As Time Goes By.

at his best in Reginald Perrin?

"Bit of a cock-up on the catering front... "

From The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin Series 1, Episode 2Random Topics: http://randomtopics.org/index.phpNews, Crime, Videos, Music, Pictures, Games...W...

Yes, v, I remember his TV shows, and especially Reginald Perrin which was itself exceptional on the sitcom front.Thanks for the clip. Farewell Jimmy.

Comment

Sorry to hear it, I liked his work. RIP Geoffrey.

Comment

Very sad: a reliable and hilarious fixture throughout one’s listening and viewing life.

Most recently, for me, on the radio: his gripping narration of Chesterton's surreal classic The Man Who Was Thursday https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jw4p

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 06-11-20, 17:17. Reason: Typoo
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
              Very sad: a reliable and hilarious fixture throughout one’s listening and viewing life.

Most recently, for me, on the radio: his gripping narration of Chesterton's surreal classic The Man Who Was Thursday https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jw4p

He also narrated that fantastic TV series "The Rise and Sprawl of the Middle Classes", deploying that exquisitely subtle tone of voice that is pitched somewhere midway between straight and ironic, which suited the series to absolute perfection.

Comment

I liked particularly the surreal comedy "At home with the snails" in which he played a devious university professor in a dysfunctional family.

And of course great performances in the TV shows mentioned above.

Comment

His face was what the word lugubrious was invented for...
                  'As time goes by' was one of those lovely programmes that managed to appeal to all members of the family when my children were younger, and I have happy memories of evenings spent all together watching it.

Comment

One of GP's later (but still hilarious) outings:

R.I.P.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder of them with Geoffrey.

Comment

Working...
                      X