Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R4: Faith in Music

Another potentially interesting R4 series ‘Faith in Music’ kicks off on 7/12 at 4pm.
    ‘Catholic composer Sir James MacMillan considers the faith lives of four very different composers’.
    Tallis, Wagner, Elgar and Bernstein will be covered over four weeks.

James MacMillan considers composer Thomas Tallis's complex life and religious faith.

When I saw the heading, I had to check to find out if it referred to faith in MUSIC, or FAITH in music.

Comment

....Wagner today....enjoyed programme....listened to it twice....that's enough Wagner music for me....just the flavour is what I like, and from there I can build my own priorities....
      bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        ....Wagner today....enjoyed programme....listened to it twice....that's enough Wagner music for me....just the flavour is what I like, and from there I can build my own priorities....
        I'd marked this up in RT, then forgot all about it, so thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Yes, I'll be listening again.

At 4.30 Similarly of interest.....the following programme - Beyond Belief: "Beethoven's Spirituality"

Born into a musical family in Bonn towards the end of the 18th century, Ludwig van Beethoven became one of the greatest composers who ever lived. But whilst much is written about his life and music, little attention is paid to his faith and spirituality. To mark the 250th anniversary of his birth, Ernie Rea explores Beethoven's interest in God, Eastern religions and how his spirituality influenced his music with the pianist Stephen Hough; Professor Barry Cooper, editor of the Beethoven Compendium and Professor of Music at the University of Manchester and Birgit Lodes, Professor of Historical Musicology at the University of Vienna.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

At 4.30 Similarly of interest.....the following programme - Beyond Belief: "Beethoven's Spirituality"

Born into a musical family in Bonn towards the end of the 18th century, Ludwig van Beethoven became one of the greatest composers who ever lived. But whilst much is written about his life and music, little attention is paid to his faith and spirituality. To mark the 250th anniversary of his birth, Ernie Rea explores Beethoven's interest in God, Eastern religions and how his spirituality influenced his music with the pianist Stephen Hough; Professor Barry Cooper, editor of the Beethoven Compendium and Professor of Music at the University of Manchester and Birgit Lodes, Professor of Historical Musicology at the University of Vienna.
            One to catch up with, I just heard the glorious sounds of Parsifal in the last 5 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

Here's the link:

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                I've just listened to the programme. I see Wagner as someone with a Eurocentric, post-Christian view of Buddhism very much of its time, and wonder to myself it it was an early love of Wagner's music that drew Holst into examining Eastern philosophy in greater depth. As one who questions foundations of religious belief in general I find it very difficult to get my head around all this. Much as I appreciate Wagner's expansion of musical possibilities it is those who came after him, who were more interested in the psychology of religion than in its supposed truths and revelations, that I find I can more fully relate to.

Comment

Working...
                X